Chapter 17: Love's Triumph

"Marcel, you know I hate to ask a favour of you but my sister insists that I demand Elijah's return" I said to him as he stood in front of the tailor's mirror alongside Thierry, admiring his suit.

"We can't have three originals roaming the city!" Thierry scoffed. "Half the guys think this sister of his killed the nightwalkers."

"I really hope you aren't making an accusation against an original vampire" I said walking up to him, ready for a confrontation. The same applied to him it seemed, alas Marcel didn't feel the same.

"C'mon guys." Marcel started. "Look Klaus, the guys are on edge, if I give back Elijah then they might get the wrong impression of who's in charge."

"I had to ask" I said with a fake smile across my face. It's a good thing I always had a plan B.

~Elijah POV~

"I have to assume this is Niklaus's doing" Fiore and Elijah were back in the fields riding horses.

"I remember this" He started.

"Yes, I too. I didn't realise you enjoyed this memory of the two of us that much." She said beaming at him as she dismounted the horse.

"So I see your dream power translates into desiccation?" he said smiling at her. "And to answer your question—of course."

"If it helps, it's quite possible that he's trying to save you" She said taking his hand and leading him into the little café beside the field. "He hasn't been asleep in quite a bit."

"It's more likely that he's trying to save you." Elijah said looking at his sister-in-law cautiously.

"I am dead"

"Yet you are here. Or are you visiting me from beyond the grave?"

"My father will soon see to it." She said sadly. "He is almost ready to kill me. On the bright side, I might finally meet my mother. The way he talks about her, she sounds wonderful. But I will lose all of you, the family that I have found in you."

"You don't have to lose us. You are as much of a sister to me as Rebekah is." Elijah said taking her hands in his. "Come back to us."

"I cannot. I am afraid of what he will do to me, what he will do to you. Especially Niklaus." She said shaking her head.

"Do you remember when I took you here?" She nodded in agreement. "We had just arrived in France, you and my brother had fallen out—as you quite frequently do. I don't even remember what had happened but I do remember that you were scared. You didn't want to try and refused to let him into your heart because you were afraid that he would fail you again. And now let me tell you what I told you then. Love, will always triumph over fear. If you love him enough, then the fear you feel will never be enough to control you. And what did you do? You put your fear aside and your love forward and you overcame it. Of course he did fail you again and again, and to be fair to him, you both failed each other. But the point is you have overcome fear before and you can do it again, you owe him that much. You owe him to at least try. If he was in your position, he would never stop trying."

"Elijah, why does this memory of the two of us mean so much to you?" She asked.

"Because before then, I had never truly seen you as a firm part of the family. I thought you would tear Niklaus and Kol apart. I thought you would destroy this family. But after I saw what you did, after I saw how much you truly loved my brother, I knew that you would do the opposite. I knew that you would bring us together." Elijah leaned forward before he continued to speak. "Do that again."

"I am sorry Elijah; I truly am but the fear I have of my father is not the same." She said breaking away from him. "I was so scared of him that I literally had him wiped from my memory because the fear was so crippling. The fear that I have for him is out of my control."

"I don't think you've tried hard enough." She sighed as she got up from her chair and kissed him on the cheek.

"I've put some magic into you should anyone come close enough to you, you'll be able to talk to them. I'm quite weak however so it would have to be a memory that you both share." She kissed him once more before waving goodbye to him. And then, there was just darkness.

~Klaus POV~

"As expected the answer was no" I told my sister as I picked up the phone. "Thierry is suspicious. He thinks you killed 10 of his nightwalkers."

"Lies" She scoffed. "I only killed eight and I'll be perfectly happy to make Thierry the ninth."

"No, no, no. Marcel is playing nice, we can't kill the prodigal son, he'll catch onto us."

"So war it is then?"

"War it is. You manage the witch, and I'll take care of our next step." I hung up the phone and turned my attention to my new vampires.

"Joshua, I ordered you to drain him of blood. What's taking so long?" I said glaring at him and the hostage.

"Sorry, I'm not very good with medieval torture." He said nervously. "what did he do?"

"Nothing yet. But he'll do whatever I want him to do. Just like you would." I said smiling at him as I handed him a pitchfork. "Exhibit A, you will drive this straight through his torso"

"What just happened?" He said staring in horror as he did exactly as I said. "I didn't want to but I did anyway."

"It's called mind compulsion. Vampires, like you, can compel humans. Originals, like I and my siblings can compel vampires. Immortals, like my wife, can compel Originals. Except my wife is not around to compel us. Do you follow?" He nodded looking frightened, just the way I liked it. "Good. That is how you will do my bidding and no one will be the wiser."

"But you never gutted me" he said looking confused.

"You're lucky, young Joshua" I said gripping his shoulder. "I got to you before you had vervain in your system. That prevents compulsion. Marcel had all his friends taking since I returned and that's why he needed to be bled dry, so I can compel him to follow my every command. And as my brother is in captivity awaiting rescue, we can't afford to be gentle" I took the pitchfork back from him and stabbed the man in the torso again, twisting it around in his body.

"And you came up with this plan of yours all by yourself?" He asked me in awe.

"Actually I wish; I could take all the credit but my wife gave me a little help." I said smiling but my smile soon turned to a grumble once my sister called.

"Well?" I said as I answered.

"Fiore she was right about that traitor. I wish she would visit me with one of her magic dreams" She complained.

"Don't waste my time Rebekah"

"Fine, fine. The traitor is just a kid, she doesn't know Jack about us and has no idea what we're up to. But do you want to know the best part about it?"

"Do tell" I said grinning.

"She's in love with a friend of Marcel's"

"Let me guess." I said cutting her off. "Right hand man type, likes silly little caps?"

"Ding ding ding! Thierry is fraternising with the enemy. I said you'd be pleased."

"Oh and I am. To be young and in love in a city where witches and vampires are at war. How treacherous." I said chuckling. "Our little Romeo and Juliet have unwittingly become the key to our entire plan"

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this part! DOnt forget to comment, vote and follow me! X