Chapter 23 A: Suffering

Elijah and I trudged through the bayou still on a hunt for Hayley. Elijah walked briskly, visibly in a hurry to find Hayley.

"You seem quite determined to find the wolf." I said raising an eyebrow.

"If I'm moving too fast for you Niklaus then wait in the car" he snapped.

"So I struck a nerve? You admire this girl." I said laughing wryly. "So that's why you've been barking out orders, you want to impress Hayley with your role as family patriarch."

"If you insist on treating her like just an incubator, then that is on you" Elijah said walking even faster than before.

"Maybe because as far as I'm concerned she is just that. I have a wife, in case you've forgotten."

"I think you've forgotten Niklaus, how long did it take for you to impregnate Hayley?" He said still looking straight and narrow while I threw daggers at him with my eyes. I stopped as soon as I caught a familiar scent in the air. The smell led to me to an SUV and I looked through it and scattered the belongings to confirm what I wanted.

"This vehicle reeks of Tyler Lockwood." I said groaning.

"Why would your sidekick frim Mystic Falls have any interest in Hayley?" Elijah said in confusion.

"They were friends"

"Niklaus—"

"Okay, okay, okay." I sighed in resignation. "When I could sire hybrids he was the first, not that he had a choice. He was loyal at the start but then he turned my other hybrids against me, the insubordinate runt. Anyway I couldn't have that so I massacred the lot of them, unwittingly contributing to Fiore's father's grand plan. But Tyler ran away like the coward he is. Plus, there was the time that he and Caroline locked me up in the Gilbert house with Fiore but she was the one that did most of the torturing that day."

"Anything else I should know?" Elijah huffed in frustration.

"There was this business with his mum..."

"You killed his mother!" Elijah said incredulously. "Brilliant"

"No need for the sarc, Elijah he had to be taught a lesson!" I snapped.

"And what lesson will you be taught if he retaliates by harming Hayley?" He asked exasperatedly.

"Not to cheat on my wife would probably be number one on that list" I scoffed.

"Was it even worth it? Worth Hayley's life?"

"So you do like her" I said nodding my head knowingly. "Have at it. Save her. Take what you can, I don't bloody want her, but I will say I've had a taste of what she has to offer and she is just exquisite— "

"Niklaus if you finish that sentence so help me..." Elijah said cutting me off angrily.

"Oh sod off Elijah, I'll kill Tyler myself"

~Elijah POV~

Elijah continued alone through the bayou when he finally heard the voice of the one person he was waiting for. He grabbed her and put the knife she was wielding away from him.

"I apologise" he said smiling at her. "I thought you were in trouble; it appears I was mistaken." Hayley sighed in relief and dived into Elijah's arms and hugged him tightly. "Don't worry, you're safe now. I'll take you home."

"Elijah, you need to know something about the baby. The baby can make hybrids. That's the only explanation, he doesn't care about the baby, he just wants to use him to make more of his sired hybrids. But Dwayne was sired to me, so we have an advantage—he probably doesn't know that." Hayley said sitting down by a tree whilst Elijah paced about and thought of the next step. Niklaus loved Fiore more than anything else in the world and he knew the existence of this child would damage them beyond repair. If he had a hybrid army sired to him, in the event of Fiore abandoning him once and for all he wouldn't have to be alone. If that truly was his brother's plan, then Elijah knew he couldn't allow him to have access to that child.