Chapter 11: Grudges

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU GAVE IT TO SILAS?" I threw my brother against the wall and he just looked at me apologetically. Pathetic.

"I'm sorry Niklaus."

"Sorry?" I said walking towards him. "All you have to say to me is I'm sorry? Fiore is going to die and that's all you have to say?"

"It wasn't his fault Nik, he was tricked!" Rebekah said trying to pull me away from him. "Like you were tricked before him."

"Get out" I said turning away from them both.

"Niklaus— "

"Don't you dare start Elijah. Or you Rebekah." I said turning back around to face at my two traitorous siblings. "It's not enough that you were both going to let Silas taunt me eternally, but you were also going to let him keep Fiore. You say I am the worst of us, yet here I am, the only one fighting for her life. I want the both of you to get out. Right. Now."

The two of them left without uttering another word and I sat down in front of the fireplace. I had failed her yet again; I had hurt her yet again. She was going to die at the hands of Silas and I hadn't been able to come close to stopping her.

In the corner of my eye I noticed a letter propped up against a glass decanter. It wasn't Rebekah or Elijah's handwriting, but it wasn't Fiore's either. I picked it up and saw a wax seal with a very obnoxious K imprinted into it. Katerina.

'Klaus, I hear Elijah has refused you the cure and in return, you have refused me my freedom. Shame on you both. Especially you though, what would Fiore say if she knew you were going to kill her good friend Katerina? That's right, we were such good friends that she trusted me to steal the cure, she was also going to help me escape you but then she went missing. Just one more problem to sort out. But I have one last thing to offer you. I've caught wind that there is a witch in New Orleans named Jane-Anne Deveraux plotting a move against you. Hunt her down. What she has to say will rattle you so deeply to your core that chasing little old me will be the least of your concerns. It's been a fun five centuries, Klaus, but I've worn down too many good heels running from you. Love, and hate, Katerina.'

I put the letter and went to bed. Were Fiore and Katerina truly friends? It seemed that each time I thought I was closer to finding her, the further back I was. She had been keeping so many secrets from me and now she would never even get to answer them because her father was going to kill her.

"Nik where the devil are we?" I looked up and saw my Blossom and I in a dark and dank little room. No windows, one door and a meagre lightbulb.

"Are you actually here or am I imagining you? Or are you Silas?" I asked without moving from my spot.

"It's really is me Nik." She walked up to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "You're angry, why?" She walked away from me and sat on the drab bed uncomfortably.

"You and Katerina are friends." I said staring down at her. "And you were going to bargain her freedom. Care to explain?"

"Ah. I see. Well yes we are and yes I was. We met in New York in the 70s and became allies of the sort." She shrugged her shoulders and continued. "There's not that much to it, we just evaded you together and I asked her to help me get the cure so that the Salvatores and Co. wouldn't."

"I see." I said nodding at her, I knew I was in no position to be angry at her anyway, considering the dastardly things I had done to her. "Fiore, Silas has the cure."

"Oh" she said standing up abruptly. This was obviously going to end badly.

"Does that mean this is goodbye?" I asked her doing my best to stay strong as I prepared for the inevitable answer.