Chapter 10: Lovesick Idiots

~Rebekah POV~

Rebekah couldn't stop herself from smiling as she danced with fellow prom royalty, Matt. He didn't look as amused as her but she didn't care, she had won, without even having to compel anyone or threatening. She could do it; she would be human by tomorrow.

"I thought about what you said, about being good, and you're right. It won't be easy, but it's worth trying." She said beaming at him as they danced.

"Why is my opinion so important to you anyway?" He asked her. At first she thought he sounded annoyed, but then she realised he genuinely wanted to know. He really didn't get it.

"You are everything I aspire to be" She chuckled. "You're kind, you're loyal and you're honest. People root for you to succeed. Fi jumped into a river to save you, Elena even died for you."

"I'm just a bus boy Rebekah." He said shaking his head. "I'm not saving the world."

"But you're human" She said caressing his cheek. "You are so beautifully human."

~Klaus POV~

I stood on the front porch of the Lockwood mansion and waited for Tyler to come out. I knew that he would come to see Caroline, he was a lovesick idiot. I am too, the difference is, I know not to be predictable.

"Klaus" Tyler came out of the house and his heartbeat quickened when he saw me.

"Was it worth it? To see her smile, to make her dream night come true?" I asked him, but he didn't respond, he just looked back at me in anger.

~Rebekah POV~

"Matt you called me what is—Oh my gosh!" Rebekah cut herself off after she saw April covered in blood and laying in Matt's arm unconscious.

"You have to feed her your blood" Matt said laying April on the floor and turning to face Rebekah.

"Can't you just call 911?" Rebekah asked. She couldn't save April, not tonight.

"She's dying! Please help her!"

"I can't." She said backing away from the two of them. "If I heal her, Elijah won't give me the cure and I can't be human."

"How is this even a choice?" Matt said looking at her disappointedly. "You want to be human? Prove it, be good, do the right thing and save her life."

~Klaus POV~

"Was. It. Worth it?"

"Yeah. Yeah it was." He said smiling now. "And I would do it all over again." I was taken aback by his answer. He loved her so much that he didn't care that he was going to die now because he had done that for her. I chuckled because I knew I would do the same. When it comes down to it, I would rather all those supernatural beings that I had killed come for me, if it meant that she didn't have to die with him.

"I didn't think we had anything in common Tyler, but it turns out we're both lovesick idiots." I said glaring at him. "And because of that common trait, I'll give you 5 seconds to get out of here before I rip your heart out." I didn't even get to start counting before he had disappeared off into the night.

~Rebekah POV~

Rebekah stared at a fully recovered April that was standing in the car park. Matt took off his jacket and put it over April's shoulders before turning to walk to her.

"Thank you for saving her." Matt said smiling at her but she simply gazed on sadly at April.

"I should've just listened to Elena and stayed home." She said with tears welling up in her eyes.

"It was Elena that did it to her. She saw us trying to help Bonnie, who she also attacked and she just went ape on her." He said looking at Rebekah. She didn't care what had happened—she had just wished that she didn't have to be the one to help. "Rebekah, no one has to know what you did tonight. I promise I won't tell anyone." He told her in earnest.

"You would do that... for me?" Rebekah asked looking into his eyes.

"Of course I would." Matt wiped a tear from her face and smiled at her, one that she gladly returned. "I was a little harsh earlier. I shouldn't have spoken to a queen like that." They both giggled and Rebekah was filled with glee. "You wouldn't make the worst human in the world."

"Are you offering me a job, bus boy?" she asked still beaming. "I look very cute in an apron."

"We'll see. I should probably get April home." He left and walked to the car leaving Rebekah happy knowing that tonight would be her last night as an eternal being.

"Dear sweet adorable April Young." Rebekah held her breath as she heard her brother walk up behind her. "There's a girl with a bright future ahead of her."

"She was dying and I acted with human decency and saved her life." She swivelled around to face her brother Klaus, bravely defending her actions. "There is nothing more human than that."

"Actually, I think you'll find there is." He said with his hands behind his back. He was smiling widely, because he knew he had won the battle. "You can stand idly by as poor April takes her final breath. You can ask, 'Why does this always happen to innocent people? Where do the spirits go? Was there anything I could have done?' That is what it means to be human, sister. You give humanity too much credit."

"Please don't tell Elijah." She beseeched. "I'll do anything Nik, anything at all."

"How about bring back my wife from her psychotic father?" He snapped. "Because that's what I want! Nevertheless" he said regaining his composure. "I won't tell Elijah. Because you will. You will tell him that you cheated, failed and that you don't deserve the cure. You will tell him to give it to me and let me exchange the cure for Fiore."

"Why is it so hard for you to allow my happiness?" she screeched, bawling uncontrollably.

"BECAUSE YOUR HAPPINESS COMES AT THE EXPENSE OF MY SANITY. AT THE EXPENSE OF MY WIFE." He bellowed. "Because I refuse to entertain your whims because you're bored and you want to matter. Was it worth it?" He asked her.

"Was what worth it?"

"Saving her life. Was it worth it?"

Rebekah paused thinking about what she had done tonight. She smiled knowing she had made the right choice, without doing what she had done, she would never have changed his opinion of her.

"Yes it was. I would do it again in fact beca— "

"Because of the boy. Matt" her brother finished for her. "Welcome to the club of Lovesick Idiots. People who do stupid things because of the one they love." Her brother walked away from her and she picked up the phone to call Elijah.

"Rebekah? You were just here?" Elijah answered the phone sounding puzzled.

"I'm still at the prom Elijah, what are you talking about?" Rebekah told her confused brother.

"You were just here and I gave you the cure." Elijah said. "What are you playing at Rebekah?"

"Elijah. Nik said Silas can mimic people. I am still at the prom; you didn't give that cure to me Elijah."

"I gave it to Silas."

A/N: Good luck to Elijah because he is royally screwed after his fatal mistake...

I hope you enjoyed, this is actually one of my favourite chapters of the book! Please continue reading and don't forget to comment, vote and follow me! X