Chapter 1

**Just a warning before you start: If you get frustrated easily, are impatient, unwilling to understand the point of view of other people, then don't bother starting. This is your chance to save yourself and save me the stress of telling you to quit reading the book in the middle of reading.
Thank you!**

I'll admit I wrote this book when I was way younger, so also get ready to cringe and roll your eyes.

This book doesn't represent how my other works are. I have grown as a person and even as a writer over time, so if you want something more recent, please feed your eyes with my recent works!

Enjoy.

*

"It feels so good to be back in Los Angeles" I hugged my mom tight, "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you so much as well, my love." Mom hugged me tighter, lifting me off the ground a little.

She looked at me as we pulled away. "Look at you, MZ! You've changed in the past two years!"

I laughed. "I know, I know. You too! You look... leaner."

"I decided to lose some weight," Mom said distractedly.

"Mom—" I started to say.

"How was Spain?" she asked instead, smiling.

I sighed. "Spain was like it has always been."

Hold up. I know you're probably confused.

First things first, I'm Mackenzie Starr.

We used to live in another house as one happy family here in Los Angeles before mom and dad got separated. Dad moved to Spain to work, and mom decided to stay here. I go to Spain to stay with my dad from time to time. It wasn't always easy, having to change environments, having to meet new friends, and changing schools every time. It was tedious and tiring, but I still loved my parents very much, and I loved to be a part of their lives, no matter where they lived. So, I had to go to Spain. I was there for two years, but I was back in Los Angeles. My home. I felt better here. More comfortable too. Most of my friends were here, and I'd always go back to my school, where I have my friends.

"What about Bambi?" I asked.

Bambi was my best friend. Always had been. I had known her for almost 6 years. The last time I saw her was two years ago. We were just fourteen. What if she had a new best friend now? I didn't want to think of it. I could tell anything to Bambi—anything at all. She was so bouncy and full of life.

"Bambi's fine." Mom said, "You should see her now, she's all grown up."

"Aren't we all?" I smiled.

"No. I mean she's changed a lot."

I nodded. I didn't know what that meant. And I definitely wanted to find out. We talked while I was in Spain, and I told her I would be coming home today.

I lifted one of my boxes and started walking to my room.

"I should help you." Mom said as she took a box.

"Thanks, Mom."

When we got to my room, I smiled until I turned to look at Mom who was breathing heavily. I quirked an eyebrow when I looked down at the hand luggage she had carried. 

Light. It was light. 

"That box was the lightest." I voiced my thought.

"Are... are you sure?" She asked, catching her breath.

"Yeah."

I looked at her, and something told me to be worried.

"What?" She looked back at me.

"I don't know. Should I be worried about anything?"

"Why would you ask me that? Of course not. Come down soon, alright? So you can have something to eat." She kissed my cheek before leaving my room.

"Kenzi!" I heard footsteps running to my room few moments later as I tried to unpack. I would recognize the voice anywhere, anytime.

"Bambi!" I ran out of my room and met her at the door of my room.

"Kenzi!" She squeezed me in a hug. "I missed you so much."

"Me too, Bambi. It's been two years."

"Two flipping years!" She hugged me again.

I looked at the strands of purple hair. She was prettier. Her face looked bolder. She appeared bolder. Not like the Bambi that had been crying because Greg said she looked like a fish.

"How has Los Angeles been? How about school?" I asked.

"School has been fun, and everyone has changed! Adam got expelled because he hacked the school's computer to change his test result. Miss Penny was fired because she was caught sleeping with Mr. Dave—he wasn't fired because he was innocent. Get this, she drugged him. Can you believe that? Tristan broke up with Delilah because she was being a bitch, I think. Randy's FWB is Chantel. Edward's girlfriend is Lenore..."

Bambi went on and on telling fun stories I missed while living another life, but I flushed concerning the news about Edward. I used to have a massive crush on him.  I thought he was hot, but I didn't think he knew that. He would talk to me after class or during lunch, ask me how I was doing and ask if I had any problems with Geometry. He would tell me I could come to him if I had a hard time understanding any of my subjects. He was smart, but I never went to him for help. Not because I knew it, but because I couldn't take the risk of being too close to him, and that made me study harder. Till I became a straight A student.

"...and then, Tanner McCann joined our school, and all the other girls passed out. It was like a dollar sign just came to life."

"Who is he?"

"He joined our school two years ago. The same year you left for Spain. He's weird, but not weird weird. He's just strange."

"I see." I laughed, "How's Ryan?"

She shrugged before saying about our best friend. "He's good. I wonder why he didn't come, but I'm sure he'll be so happy to see you," she paused like she didn't know whether to ask,  "When are you going to Spain again?" Bambi asked.

"I have no idea, but it won't be until I have graduated from here." I answered.

"So, are you going to Spain for college?" She asked, and I could see the disappointment in her eyes.

"I didn't say that," was the only thing I said, and she nodded. "I'm just so glad you're back."

"Me too, Bambi, me too."