Chapter 35

Who's your favourite YouTuber?

"Kenzi!" Bambi screamed from what sounded like the living room. "Come out!"

I looked at myself one more time at the mirror, pulled a little at my ponytail and walked out of the room.

"Okay, okay, I'm out now. Let's go." I said as I got to the living room, looking around as I didn't see Bambi anywhere.

"In here, lucky charm!" She called from the kitchen.

My mouth formed an 'o' as I walked to the kitchen.

"What's up? Let's go, since we're late!" I shrieked, walking into the kitchen.

"No, we aren't." her eyes remained fixed on something on the counter​ and I looked at my phone, checking the time.

"I thought we were late." I said, then my eyes dropped to what she was looking at. I smiled.

"What the hell, Kenzi, what time did you have to do all these shopping?"

"I didn't do them."

"Oh yeah, Santa stopped by." She rolled her eyes.

"It was Darren." I told her.

 Her eyes widened, "He got all these for you?"

"Yep." I smiled widely as I walked to the basket and took a look again at everything he'd bought​.

"There's like two of everything!"

"I know! It's insane." I chuckled, "I totally wasn't expecting it. I just got back from work and I saw it by the flower outside."

"Oh my." She shook her head. "You're one lucky girl, Kenzi."

*

"Mackenzie, I'm really s-"

"No, thank you Darren!", I tiptoed a little, throwing my arms around him, catching him unaware, "I saw it and I really appreciate it. You're so sweet."

"What-"

I tightened my arms around him, closing my eyes, "I didn't know that was how you planned on making it up to me, but I swear that I really appreciate it."

Just then the bell rang and I pulled away, "I have to get to class now, but I'd make sure we get to see later. Thank you so much, Darren." I turned to walk to class, but stopped as it occurred to me that Tanner had been staring.

*

School passed quickly. Very quickly. Classes had been unusually fast and I was more than excited. I was at work already, feeling hot as I tried to serve four different people. I'd taken their orders and now, I was thinking about my movement around the diner.

"Hey, you okay?" Kora asked

"Yep, just got the orders from​ four different tables"

"Aw damn. Must be tough, I know. I got the orders of seven different people and I had to deliver them just in time so no one got angry. Just smile. It warms them, plus, that's why we put a TV up for them, so they're distracted for a while."

I nodded in realisation, chuckling, "Thank you, Kora."

"No problem." She patted my arm and walked away with her note to take some orders and I followed, tray in hand.

*

"It's so damn crazy how this diner gets full all of a sudden." I sighed as Kora returned to our stand minutes later.

"Tell me something I don't know." She rolled her eyes, "I really​ pray the next person to come into the diner comes after ten minutes. My legs are aching."