Chapter 13

Bambi and I walked down the hallway the next day.

"How has living alone been?" Bambi asked me.

I shrugged, "Things are okay for now."

Bambi looked at me, "You'll be okay."

I smiled, "Thanks."

"I gotta go to class now, what about you?"

"Why do you have to go to class early?" I groaned.

"I've told you before, Kenzi, that I like to get my texts ready."

I rolled my eyes,"Right. I'll see you during lunch, then," I raised Ryan's jacket in the air, "I gotta give Ryan his jacket."

"Alright then, I'll see you during lunch," Bambi smiled, then walked away. I must say her smile brightened up my day most of the time.

I held Ryan's jacket in my hand and walked to his locker. The first thing I did when I got home yesterday was wash the jacket, then left it to dry. I then cleaned up and climbed on my bed, burying my head in my pillow and crying unshed tears due to the pain that could kill sometimes.

"Ryan, your ja--" I called as I almost got to him, but my voice trailed off as I saw Ryan talking to a girl. That girl. I recognised her as part of the group of girls he was looking at in the cafeteria. Maybe that was the girl he was looking at? Ryan looked serious, in fact, they both looked so serious and I wondered what they we're talking about.

I watched him as he lifted his hand to her shoulder. When he did, she bit her lip and looked at him.

I walked away.

 This was stupid. I was only being jealous.

*

"Starr, please, may I have your attention?" I heard Mrs Martinez say.

I sighed and looked forward. She must really be worried about me these days. This just had to stop happening.

Soon, I saw a folded piece of paper land on my desk. Tanner's eyes fell on the paper too and I took it off the table as I opened it.

What's wrong?

Ryan. I knew his handwriting. I turned to look at him and he looked back, a worried look on his face.

"Starr?" I heard Mrs Martinez call again.

I looked forward. She must really think I do have problems, and through the side of my eye, I saw Tanner look at me.

*

During lunch, I ate only a sandwich because I couldn't risk taking anything too sweet.

"Kenzi, are you okay?" Ryan looked at me.

"Yes, I am. . . or" I emphasised on the word, "Do you have any reason why I shouldn't?"

"Uh-" He looked at Bambi, then looked at me, "I just thought. . ." His voice trailed off.

"I'm fine, thanks," I snapped as I took another bite of my sandwich, and just in time, I caught Bambi mouth to Ryan. "She's on her period."

"This has nothing to do with me being on my period, Bambi." I looked at her and she shrugged then looked back at Ryan.

"Excuse me," Ryan said as he got up from the table and walked out of the cafeteria

I watched him leave and Bambi scolded, "What the hell is wrong with you, Kenzi?"

"Nothing, I . . . I don't know."

"So-" She looked confused, "I don't even get you!"

"I don't get myself either. Let's eat?" I said and she shrugged as she said, "You really should apologize to Ryan."