Chapter 4

"You okay?" Bambi asked me during lunch.

"Mrs Martinez wants me to tutor Tanner," I said.

"Hey girls!" Ryan came and took a seat behind Bambi, "How come we aren't sitting on that table?" He looked at the table where Tanner and his friends sat. There were more guys and girls there today.

"Because Mackenzie wouldn't sit there," Bambi said.

"Hey, I told you I was perfectly fine sitting alone." I looked at Bambi.

"I know... but that's the point, I don't want you to be alone," she said.

"By the way, thanks for my Trig note." I told her.

"Yeah. Took you long enough," she smirked.

"Mackenzie, what did Mrs Martinez want to see you and Tanner for?" Ryan asked me.

"She wants me to tutor Tanner," I said as I sighed.

"Are you joking?" He looked at me.

"Hey, I have other things to joke about. I'm serious," I said.

"Well, it can't be that bad."

"Don't ever say that again. You said that the last time and I ended up at the nurse's."

*

When school was  over, I walked up to my locker to put my books in it. I felt a presence step beside me and I was sure it was Tanner's. I should just ask him about the whole tutoring thingy.
I took a deep breath and turned to him.

"Loo—"

I stopped when I saw him walking away. I walked up to him as I stopped him, grabbing his elbow.

"Wait, please." I said.

"What is it?" He growled as he turned to look at me.

"Look," I said quietly, "I just wanted to talk about the tutoring thing."

"Oh, awesome. Let me just write that on my list of things I don't give a shit about."

I sighed, "Please, can you... can you not do this?"

"Okay, but listen to me. You are not gonna tutor me, understand that."

"You're so impossible, screw this." I held my breath as I walked away from him.

"Mackenzie!" I heard my name, but it wasn't Bambi's or Ryan's voice so I kept on walking, but then someone touched my arm to see Edward.

"Hey... hey," he said, looking at me.

"Hi," I replied, a small smile on my face.

"Look, I'm sorry about Tanner, he—"

"It's fine." I turned to leave.

"Wait, Mackenzie."

I looked back to him, "Yeah?"

"He isn't usually like that."

I looked at Edward.

"Yeah, I know that too," I shrugged.

"No, Mackenzie.. it's—"

"I just wanted to talk to him about the tutoring, and—"

"There you are, are you ready to leave?" Ryan walked up to me briskly.

"Yep,"  I nodded and looked at Edward, who looked back at me. "It's okay, Edward,"

*

"Remind me why we're in school again," Bambi said.

I laughed, "What do you think?"

She rolled her eyes, "If I knew I wouldn't be asking."

I shook my head, laughing.

"Bye, Kenzi." Bambi said to me.

"You get to class so early," I told her.

"Not really. I have to get seated with my Literature texts."

"You left Trig for Literature?" I asked, surprised.

"Makes more sense to me," she said and we laughed, "I'll see you later, Kenzi."

"Okay," I nodded.

When I got to class and settled down. I waited patiently for Ryan to come in. He might come late, he didn't like Trig anyway. I distracted myself with my phone.

"Alright, good morning, class!" Mrs Martinez came in.. she was quite early today.

I couldn't help but wonder where Tanner was. 

She'd started teaching when Tanner strolled in,

"McCann! You're late!" Mrs Martinez said.

"I can see it. I'm sorry," he said mindlessly, then took his seat beside me

Mrs Martinez sighed and shook her.
head.

Immediately Tanner took his seat, the hair on my arms stood up and I stiffened.

*

Immediately the bell rang, I saw Tanner's mouth open. I could swear he wanted to say something, but I got up quickly and walked up to Mrs Martinez as she left the class.

"Mrs Martinez?" I called.

"Yes, Mackenzie, do you need something?" She smiled at me.

"Yes, Mrs Martinez."

"Alright. What is it?"

I bit my lip nervously, "Uh... about this whole tutoring thing. Tanner... I can't tutor him."

"Why?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. But I really have a lot of stuff to do."

"His grades are really low."

What did that have to do with me, though? "Mrs Martinez, that's his problem, and I don't think he really cares about that." I told her.

She nodded,"I could tutor him myself, but I feel like something about my teaching just doesn't help, but he has to graduate."

"I totally understand that. I'm sorry." I said.

She sighed, "Alright, Mackenzie. I understand."

"Kenzi, what's up?" Bambi asked me as I walked into the cafeteria.

"I just told Mrs Martinez I couldn't tutor Tanner," I replied.

"So you're actually not gonna tutor him?" Ryan looked at me.

"Of course not," I answered, taking a bite of my sandwich.

"Hey, that looks good," Ryan said, referring to the sandwich on my plate, and I gestured to him that he could have some.

"Apparently, there's some party this Friday. I overheard it in class," Bambi said. "Are you coming?" Bambi asked me.

"No... no, I'm not," I shook my head, and then looked at Ryan who was too busy eating my sandwiches.

"Why?" Ryan asked me.

"Nothing. I'm studying."

"Oh, right," they nodded.

I loved both Bambi and Ryan very much. They knew how important this scholarship was to me and didn't try pressuring me into coming to any party.

"Who's party is it anyway?" I asked.

"Kevin's," Bambi answered.

I was guessing it was the basketball team organising the party, then. There was no doubt the party would be fun, but I would be home, studying and focusing on getting a scholarship... or two... and if I wasn't being too greedy, all three.