Chapter 61

"Mom!" I ran excitedly to her bed, a smile on my face as I sat down so close to her I was scared she might even pass out again.

"MZ..." Her voice trailed off as a light smile came over her face. I could see how hard she tried to smile fully but she just couldn't, and​ to be honest, I didn't mind. The fact that her eyes were open made me extra excited. That was all I'd been hoping for the whole night.

"I'm so glad you're awake!" I flung my arms around her neck, tears in my eyes. "See, Ryan, Jesse, Bambi and Tanner are here to see you. Ryan, Jesse​ and Bambi were here all night," I told mom, throwing a glance at the guys and girl who stood by thr corner of the room, smiles on their faces.

"Really?" Mom followed my gaze​ and smiled as she saw them, Ryan and Bambi walking up to her.

"Hey mom," they moved to her, hugging her gently.

"Bambi, Ryan..." she looked at them, her eyes sparkling as she took their hands, "Thanks."

I motioned for Tanner and Jesse to come closer and they did, taking long strides to the side of mom's bed.

"Tanner." Mom called, her eyes wide and a smile on her face.

"Hey Callie," Tanner chuckled, planting a kiss on her forehead.

Her eyes looked up to Jesse and she tilted her head to a side, squinting. "Is this Jesse?" She asked, looking at him.

"Yes, it is," he replied, a laugh escaping his mouth.

"Come closer, come closer," she said a smile on her face even as he moved closer to her, sitting on the bed beside her. "Oh my! Haven't you grown?" She said in disbelief and we all laughed.
"For real, I still remember little Jesse like it was yesterday and those dear Converse shoes he treasured so much."

We laughed again, Jesse shaking his head as he facepalmed.

"It's so amazing, really. You little kids of those days now looking after me, staying with me at the hospital," she said in a low, quiet voice, am amused look in her face.

"What else can we do to show you how much we appreciate you for being such a good mom to us," Ryan said, raising a hand to her cheek.

"That's not Kenzi, Ryan," Bambi said just before Ryan could pull mom's cheek and I let out a laugh, rolling my eyes. Mom then gasped, her eyes widened, "Renée. Where's Renée? We were the only ones at home." She said, looking from me to Tanner, worry and fear in her eyes.

"It's okay, Callie," Tanner started.

"Yeah, it's fine. She should be in school by now," Jesse said. "I asked my dad to please take her to school this morning."

She let out a breath, relaxing. "Good."

"Mrs. Heather called us to let us know what had happened. She was with Renée till Tanner and I got home," I explained to mom and beside me, Tanner nodded.

"Oh, right," mom nodded too. Sinking into the bed. "I hope you guys have had something to eat, though," she said, looking at all of us.

"Well..." Ryan's​ voice trailed off as he shrugged. "It's no problem, we'll get something from the cafeteria."

"No need for that. We brought stuff to eat for you guys," Tanner said, walking to the corner of the ward, lifting the basket he'd carried in off the ground.

"Oh... so, food was in there," Jesse said, nodding slowly in realization, taking the basket from Tanner as he and Bambi peered into the basket at the same time, soon started taking out the things in the basket.