Chapter 36

Tanner or Darren?

*

Tanner

I couldn't blame her for being this mad. I honestly couldn't. She was so innocent. She was broken, but the truth was, so was I. Not as broken as she was, though. A large part of me wanted to fix her in someway. 

I walked back to my car and got in.

"Where'd you go? Where's Zee?" I heard Renée ask quietly.

I looked back to her, "This is her house. She just got down and I had to see her to her door."

"Has she forgave you already?"

"Forgiven." I corrected. I reserved an hour everyday to help Renée with her English. She always complained about her English teacher. I doubted my parents paid any attention to the school they enrolled her into.

Idiots.

"Forgiven." She repeated after me. "Has she forgiven you already?"

"No." I sighed, "No, Renée, she hasn't."

"You didn't tell me what made her mad at you."

"I've just said some really horrible things to her."

"Why?" She asked, still quiet.

"I was angry. I couldn't help it." I told her as I put the key in it's ignition.

"I like her." Renée said

Not knowing what to say, I just smiled at her, "Why don't you go back to sleep? We'll talk when we get home."

"Okay." She sleepily rubbed her eyes and laid back down on the seat, pulling my jacket to her body.

We wouldn't be able to talk for sure. I'd have to put her in bed because it was really late. Speaking of really late, Mackenzie worked really late. Way too late. How did she keep up with coming early to school? How much sleep did she get? How much would she get at the end of the day for working that late? Why did I even care about her so much?

"I know that you like her too." Renée said from the back, like she'd been reading my mind.

"Renée. . ." I dragged the last part of name

"I'm asleep." she called from the back and I chuckled.

*

Mackenzie

"He's lecturing you, isn't he?" Bambi said sympathetically to Brooke as we caught up with her and Ryan walking into the school building.

"Yeah." Brooke sighed dramatically.

Bambi and I chuckled. "Sorry, we get that all the time too." I told her, smiling.

"So, are you coming to join in on the lecture or what?" Ryan smirked at Bambi and I.

"No, thanks." Bambi and I made to walk away briskly ahead of them, chuckling.

"Mackenzie." I heard Darren call.

I stepped away from Ryan who was still talking, making Brooke listen to him as he talked about the importance of calling now. Bambi picked on her nail, acting like she was listening.

I chuckled as I looked to Darren, "Hey Darren, how are you doing?"

"I'm great. What about you? How are you doing?"

"Great!" I smiled widely, "So what's up?" I asked, looking around for Chanel anywhere, though.

"Are you okay?"