Chapter 31

What character in this book would you actually like to meet in real life? 

*

"Mackenzie!" Kora waved to me, smiling big, her braces making her look even prettier.

"Hey Kora." I stepped beside her in my uniform, smiling back at her.

"How did your day go?" She asked

I rolled my eyes, "It was a total bore-"

"It couldn't have been more boring than mine."

I chuckled, looking at her sympathetically.

"Are you in school or something?" she asked me.

"Yes", I nodded, "Yes, I'm in school. High school."

"Oh great. I just graduated."

"Must feel nice. No waking up so early or annoying teachers and their endless homeworks."

She laughed, nodding. "You bet."

There was some kind of silence between us. Nothing awkward, just one of those silent moments between two people when what they do is smile to themselves and think of what next to ask or say.

"Working and going to school, that must be a lot." Kora said.

I nodded, "Yeah, but I'm just trying to make ends meet."

"I understand." Her eyes ran over the almost empty diner.

"What about you? I mean, do you plan on going to college soon?"

"Yeah, but just like you, I'm also trying make ends meet. Get some money and see myself into college."

I couldn't help but wonder if she had parents, but I wouldn't ask. I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable or anything so I just let it pass, nodding my head slowly.

"Is it me or nobody's coming in here tonight?" I looked at her.

"It's Saturday night, usually this place is full, I wonder what's happening."

I shrugged.

"Do you have any friends here?"

"Uh, not really. Lacey's nice but she works on the other side of the diner, same goes for Owen, he's super cool and nice. To be honest with you, you're one of my few friends, plus my boyfriend, Tristan who's already in college."

"Aw wow." I smiled, happy to be at least one of her few friends.

Just then, the diner's door opened and two men strode in.

"I guess they've started arriving." Kora looked at me and together we left our stand, Kora going to one of the men and me to the other.

"You're welcome to Joyce's Palace. Can I take your order?" I smiled brightly.

*
Monday came too soon for me, really. I remember falling asleep after putting my Geometry textbook away, and then it felt like five minutes later, I was awake. My eyes felt very heavy and I rubbed my eyes as many times as I could, but to be perfectly honest, it made me feel more sleepy.

"So, how was your date?" I looked at Bambi through the mirror. She had come in the moment I was trying to pull my hair up into a bun. 

"Hang out." She corrected and I let out a breath, "Whatever. How did it go?"

"Well, it started out really good, and again I wasn't looking at him as a bad boy, but towards the end, I felt really uncomfortable."

I turned to look at her, "Really?"

"Yeah." She nodded, looking down

"Why?"

"Well, he kept on getting texts, and then he was smiling and smirking-"

"So?"

"I could swear he was texting another girl!" She threw her hands in the air.

"It could be anybody, Bambi. It could be a guy, and I'm sure it was-"

"You can't be sure. I was the one with him. You know that smile guys give when they're seeing-"

"Bambi. I tell you, it could be a guy. Wait, why are you so bothered about who it was?"

"Because it's very rude when two people are together and one is busy on their phone. It makes the other person uncomfortable! And I know what you're about to say, but-"

"No, you don't." I sighed, "See, Bambi it could still be anybody."

*

So, your scripts are ready and, uh. . . well, you'll see for yourselves." She shrugged, taking the graded test papers from the table, then looking around the class before she went round placing everyone's test paper on their tables.

She got to Tanner's seat and dropped his test paper on his table. I was dying to know what he got, to see where the tutoring had gotten​ him to. Knowing I wouldn't ask him, my side eyes did the job. And I saw it.

B

The grade was boldly written at the top of his first page.

Just then, Mrs Martinez was beside me. I looked at her as she dropped my test paper. I smiled lightly and she stared back.

My eyes dropped to my paper.

D