Chapter 12

I squirmed uncomfortably ​in my seat during fourth period and I saw Tanner look at me funny. I couldn't blame him, I was practically acting like a possessed human being right now. But, honestly, I felt uncomfortable as hell.

Just as I made to squirm again, Ryan strolled into the class and walked to his seat.

"Smith!" Mrs Martinez called and I saw Ryan stop in his tracks, roll his eyes, then look at Mrs Martinez.

"Yes, Mrs Martinez?"

"I said it the last time you casually strolled into my class that I wouldn't accept any more strolling in into my class, especially when a teaching is​ going on."

"I'm sorry, Mrs Martinez," Ryan sighed.

"That's not the point." She said, "Why are you just coming into my class?"

"Uh-"

"Better still, where did you go after first period? You had first period, didn't you?"

"Yes, Mrs Martinez, I did."

"So where were you?"

"It's personal." I wondered what was personal, though.

"Or maybe he was having a boner and couldn't come in!" A guy at the back shouted and some girls in class let out chuckles. I looked back as I shot them an irritated look.

"Yeah, well, that'll be nice considering your dick's probably so small you can't even get one," Ryan shot and I burst out laughing and so did the rest of the class.

"Quiet!" Mrs Martinez said but I couldn't control my laughter so when the class ran quiet, I was still laughing.

"Starr!" Mrs Martinez called and I looked at her, and the whole class and kept quiet,

"I'm gonna have to ask Ryan to leave my class." Mrs Martinez looked at him.

"What?" Ryan asked in disbelief, "You heard what he said!"

"Ryan," she looked at him.

I watched Ryan open his mouth to say something, but he closed it as he ran a hand through his hair and walked out of the class. I shook my head as I watched him walk out of the class.

I waited impatiently for the class to be over and I practically jumped when the bell rang. First, I'd have to go find Ryan and ask what's up, and from there, we'd go grab lunch. I was starved. I couldn't have breakfast this morning because I woke up late and Bambi was yelling from outside.

I walked into the cafeteria alone, I hadn't found Ryan and I really wondered where he had gone to. Bambi was also nowhere to be found.

As I went to get my food, I heard laughter around me. Was it only me or everyone seemed so happy today? I grabbed my lunch, my mouth watering over the food in my plate. The laughter got louder and I raised an eyebrow.

"Would you guys just shut up and stop acting like you don't have mothers or sisters at home?" Tanner growled and the cafeteria ran quiet.

I rolled my eyes, then widened it when I saw Tanner walk towards me. Why was he coming here? The laughter had stopped and all I could hear were murmurings. My heart beat faster than it usually did when Tanner got to me. I took a deep breath as I looked at him.

"Listen, it might excite you to know that you are the joke."

I gasped, "Why would you even say that, I've done nothing wrong to you!"

"Of course. The only thing you did wrong was not count the days well."

"What?" I shot him a confused look

He leaned in closer to me and I thought his cologne would kill me. I tried to hold back a sneeze, but I failed and when I did, Tanner appeared conscious and took a step back. He then looked down at me and said more quietly, "You are stained with blood at the back of your skirt."

It didn't seem to register at first, but when it did, I gasped. "I. . . I," I looked around and everyone seemed to be staring at us, as if they were hoping to hear what Tanner just told me.

"Hey, I could give you my-" I had the strong feeling that he was about to say jacket, but I didn't want to hear it. I was too embarrassed and I dropped my tray of food on the nearest table as I walked out of the cafeteria.

As I walked and got out, I bumped into Ryan and he held me.

"What is it?" He asked me, his eyes boring into mine

"Where's Bambi?" I asked breathlessly

"Bambi? I don't know where she is. What's wrong?"

I eyes his jacket for a while, "My​ period's just set in and..." my voice trailed off.

Ryan's ​eyes lit up and he looked at me in understanding as he took off his jacket, "Use this."

I looked at him as he stood in a grey shirt. I collected the jacket and tied it across my waist. "Thank you, Ryan."

"Sure. Do you wanna go back in there? I'm guessing you had viewers."

I chuckled lightly, "Yes, I did. I had no idea why everyone was laughing, and then, Tanner just stood up and told them to shut up.. he was the one who broke the news to me, and I really got the feeling he was about to give me his jacket."

"Tanner McCann... Broke the news to you?" Ryan looked shocked.

"Yes, see? My life is officially over!"

Ryan laughed, "I wouldn't say that. That's a good thing, if you ask me."

"Don't even start, Ryan," I sighed, "I advice you to go in and grab lunch, I'll just go fix myself."

"Right... have you eaten, though? I could bring a sandwich for you"

"I'll like that. Thanks," I said and he walked into the cafeteria.

What would I do without Ryan, actually?

"That reminds me, Ryan," I turned to my locker, quickly unlocked it and got out some money. "Here."

"Why are you giving me money?" He looked confused.

"Because I owe it to you," I said.

"When did-"

"Mom's dinner at the hospital, remember?"

"Oh! Really? I'd totally forgotten about it. Keep it. Forget about it."

"I can't do that, you were the one that said I would give you in school. So take it." I pushed the money into his hands.

"C'mon Kenzi-"

"Ryan." I scowled.

"Fine, fine," he rolled his eyes as he took the money from me.

"Alright, are you ready to go now?" Bambi asked me.

"Certainly," I smiled at her, then Ryan, "I'll bring your jacket washed tomorrow."

"You can keep it for as long as you want," Ryan smiled as he pulled me into a long hug.

*

"Thanks Bambi," I said as I gave her a quick hug as she pulled up to my house.

"No problem. Take care of yourself. I'll see you tomorrow," she smiled and I nodded, then got down from the car.

I got to the doorstep and took my bag off to take my keys. I opened the smallest section of my bag to retrieve them, but I looked up sharply immediately.

Ryan had put the money back into my bag.