Chapter 16

I got out of the janitor's closet, carrying a straight face. I looked around and walked to my locker. I packed a few textbooks I needed at home. Really, I needed to stop taking books home, because I never read them. I'd tell myself that I'll study four textbooks before I go to bed, I'd open the first text and after three or four pages, and next thing I know, Bambi is waiting for me to go to school.

I peered into my locker and reached for the place I kept the money Bambi had given me. I got out some money, tucked it in the pocket of my jeans. I slung my bag on my shoulder and locked my locker.

"Where does she think she's going to?" I heard Ryan say, looking at me.

"She's pretty sure school's over. She has things to do, by the way, where did you appear from?" I chuckled.

"Some place, I guess." He shrugged, "What are you doing after school?"

"I want to get to the store. I realised I didn't have anything to eat for breakfast. I also need to see Mom. I haven't seen her since she got into the hospital, and then, prepare for the lesson with Tanner. That's about it," I shrugged.

"Wait. Was it today you said you wouldn't tutor Tanner or was it the first week of the month when you just got back from Spain?" Ryan pretended to think.

I rolled my eyes as I flushed. "Ryan!" I remembered telling he and Bambi sometime today that I'd no longer be Tanner's tutor.

"What changed your mind?"

Everything that happened  in the janitor's closet came rushing to my mind.

"Uh, actually, he apologized for what happened on Friday, then asked that I still tutor him. Have you seen Bambi?"

"She's here!" Bambi announced and I jumped a little, "Where are you guys appearing from?"

"Some place, I guess," Bambi shrugged.

"If I remember clearly, that was the same thing Ryan said."

"You see?" Ryan and Bambi said in unison and my eyes widened.

"Alright. You guys are acting like twins, stop it!" I closed my eyes and they laughed.

"Bambi, guess who Tanner's tutor is," Ryan smiled to her.

Bambi was about to say something, and then her mouth hung open as she looked at me, "You found another tutor for him? That was quite fast."

Ryan shook his head, "No, Bambi."

"Well then, help me out because I'm lost!"

"Kenzi is Tanner's tutor," Ryan rolled his eyes.

"So? Who didn't know-" She stopped,
"Hold on one second." She turned to looked at me again, "I thought you were going to resign?" She laughed at her own joke.

"Yeah, well..."

"Tanner apologized to her, and he asked her to be his tutor." Ryan said.

"Indirectly," I added.

"Really?" Bambi squealed.

"You two have problems. What makes you so happy?" I rolled my eyes.

"I don't even know..." Bambi looked down.

"What's wrong, Bambi?" I asked.

"It. . . it's just that, ugh, never mind," she waved her hand in the air.

"Come on, Bambi." Ryan nudged her.

"It's just that Jesse didn't say anything to me today," she sighed.