Chapter 10

I appeared at Tanner's doorstep at 4:10pm. I had to make sure Mom ate a little and slept too. I hoped to meet her still asleep by the time I got back. I tucked some strands of hair behind my ear as I waited for Tanner to get the door. I sighed and almost immediately, the door opened.

"You're early enough," Tanner said.

I rolled my eyes as I entered the house. I really wasn't ready for any exchange of words and that was why I brought my textbook. I walked to the room we were in the day before. The first thing I saw was that massive dictionary that freaked me out.

I sat down and looked at Tanner who was still standing. "Are you gonna keep standing or are you gonna sit so we start this lesson?" I snapped.

His eyes widened a little, but he didn't say anything. Instead, he sat down, and I was surprised. He was meant to say something back, something to make me regret I came here.

"Why are you looking at me like you don't know you're to get out a note or whatever," I rolled my eyes.

If I wasn't careful, I would leave here eating my words back, but, I couldn't help it. I was buried in my own sadness.

Again, I was surprised when he looked up at me, then looked back at the pen he held in his hand.

*

"So, I said that there are relationships to the sides of the triangle. What are they?" I asked Tanner.

"Uh," he squinted a little.

"What is so hard in learning SOHCAHTOA?" I sighed in frustration.

"Hey, I've been nothing but nice to you since you got here," he glared at me.

"You think I-"

"I'm not done talking," he snapped, "Maybe if you aren't so snappy, acting like you've got problems up in your head, then I would actually get what you're trying to teach me, you could as well talk."

"Talk?" I looked at him in disbelief, "What have I been doing since I got here?"

"What is wrong with you," he said calmly.

I was confused. He was yelling at me seconds ago and now, he was asking what was wrong with me. Why did he sound so concerned? Why was a part of me excited that he asked? I wouldn't tell him, though. Definitely not.

"Why do you care?" I shot.

"You're right. I don't," he shot back.

I sighed, closing my eyes. "I want to go home," I said.

"I didn't say I wanted you to stay, did I?"

It was my fault Tanner was back to be his jerky self. He'd been too nice for a long time. Leave Mackenzie to blow it.

I shook my head lightly, biting my lip.

"Or maybe Edward is outside to take you home."

I looked sharply at Tanner. Where did that come from?

"What?" I wanted to sound tough, but it came out as more of a whisper.

"You heard me," he clicked his pen as he got up from his chair and left the room.

I shook my head fiercely, grabbed my bag and walked out of the room.

*

I doubled my steps as I practically ran home. I opened the door as soon as I reached the doorstep.

"Mom!" I called, my heart already beating, praying hard for what happened yesterday not to repeat itself.

"MZ?" I heard mom call back and I sighed in relief.