Chapter 39

What's your favourite boy group?

*

I groaned as I plopped on my bed, getting ready to sleep.

I'd gotten home tired, but not hungry- not hungry because even after the hotdogs we got, Darren and I got chicken wraps and Cola. He'd also gotten me cotten candy and got himself chocolate chip cookies- I took a quick hot bath, got into my pyjama​ shorts. I got out my English textbook to do a little studying when I remembered how angry Ryan had been before leaving this morning. Immediately, I got out my phone to call him but it went straight to voicemail each time I tried.

Darren struck me as a decent and humble guy. I mean, obviously he had the money, so I guessed that maybe if I tried telling Ryan about him, he'd look at Darren differently, but something told me nothing could ever change Ryan's mind, even if I had no idea why he didn't like him, and even if I didn't know why he was acting like this, I couldn't help but think of how sweet he was. I knew Ryan was only looking out for me. He did that all the time, and even if sometimes it annoyed Bambi and I, we knew he only did it for our own good. Making Ryan mad wasn't something I liked to do, because it just wasn't the same when he he wasn't there to annoy me or just lecture me about something he might have lectured me on countless times before. 

Feeling drained with the thought that Ryan might be really mad at me, I closed my English textbook, making a mental note to make sure I talk to him about it on Monday. I got on my bed,  falling asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

*

"Ryan's really mad at me." I told Bambi, leaning back in the passenger seat as she drove to school.

"What did you do?"

"It's about Darren."

"I'm not surprised." Bambi said, eyes on the road.

"I don't get it. What exactly does he have against him? Darren hasn't done anything wrong to him."

"I guess you could just say that's how Ry is. That's how he is, and I can assure you that when Ry doesn't like somebody, there's a reason."

"Well, wouldn't it make sense if he told me?"

"He might not be sure about it," Bambi sighed, "You know that's Ry for you. For us. So, what really happened?"

"He wanted to hang out, but I was already hanging out with Darren, and so when he asked, I told him I already had plans with Darren. Then, he got angry. He even left the house."

"Uh-oh, he was really mad."

"Exactly, Bambi." I groaned

"How did it go with Darren anyway?"

"It was really cool, but that's not the point now, Bambi."

She let out a low chuckle. "There's nothing you can do apart from say sorry, Kenzi."

"The same goes to you anyway, you chose your cat over him."

"No, I didn't." She laughed. "Harvey was sick. We couldn't find him and mom gave up on searching for him. Then I found him hiding in my room, and he looked swollen and he wasn't eating."

"Oh. Poor Harvey." I said.

"He's better now, anyway. I took him to the vet's." She threw a quick glance at me.

I sank back in the seat, sighing.

"Don't stress. Ryan would talk to you. Just use the charm." She wiggled eyebrows and I smiled a knowing smile.

*

The bell rang and I got up from my seat. "I should go talk to Ry now." I turned to look at Bambi and realised she wasn't beside me. My eyes scanned the whole class and a stupid smile spread across my face when I saw her with Jesse, cheeks a very light shade of red.