Chapter 65

I looked at Tanner, a confused look on my face. He looked back, weary as he shook his head, running a hand through his hair.

"I think I know what's up," he finally said, and before I could ask what, he had let out a breath of frustration, storming past me. I followed closely behind him, though, but looking ahead of him.
We got to the living room, and there Renée stood. In the middle of the large room she looked so little in it, but then, she wasn't the only one who stood in the living room. The woman I'd met earlier today stood by the couch, what she wore then different from what she wore now. She looked stylish in her jumpsuit, and her eyes showed a little fear, even as she looked from Renée to Tanner... then me.

The man beside her who was definitely Tanner's dad, almost stood beside her, a tea cup in his hand. The resemblance between he and Renée was striking, from the curve of her eyebrows to her small eyes. Tanner had his dad's nose, though... Had his dark brown eyes and just the good looks in general.

His parents were good-looking, and even though his mom stood quite far away from me, I could smell their perfume or whatever they wore as if she were right beside me. It reminded me of the time I had an attack because of Tanner's cologne. I knew it. I was bound to react to their excessive use I'd perfume.

I threw a quick glance at Tanner. No, he didn't look mad. His eyes weren't red. His fists weren't clenched. He just looked weary and irritated, but Renée stood, a smile on her face as she turned to look at Tanner.

"Look! It's mom and dad!" She turned to run towards them, but Tanner called, "Renée."

She looked back at him immediately, an amused look on her face.

"Get back here," he said sternly.

"What? Why?" She asked, her expression changing to a confused and lost one, and even his parents looked surprised.

"They'll still leave if you go, so what's the point?" He rolled his eyes.

I really didn't want to witness this exactly. I felt... awkward.

"B- but they're here and—" Renée started to say at the same time her dad started to say, "Honey—"

"Get back here, Renée."

"Honey," his mom spoke up, looking at Renée. "We're your parents, and we're older than your brother, remember?" She tried smiling.

Tanner rolled his eyes again, looking at his parents, "Think hard. If there's anyone she would listen to, it'll be me, so don't try," Tanner's eyes then fell on Renée who had slowly walked back to him.

Tanner's dad looked at me, and I wondered if he was just noticing me. "Who is she?" He spat.

And what I knew was bound to happen did happen, but not in the worst way, because I only sneezed. Tanner looked at me immediately and I felt like a tiny, disappearing beside me when I saw that his dad and mom's eyes were on me, but I felt a little better the moment Tanner put his arm around my neck.

"None of your business," Tanner spat back, taking my hand and leading me up the stairs.

"Renée," his dad called, "Can you come now?"

"You really don't know them, Renée. You know what to do," Tanner didn't look back, but I heard Renee's footsteps following closely behind us.

*

"Why are you not happy to see mom and dad? It's been long since we've saw them," Renée asked as we entered​tanner's room. She flung herself on his bed instantly.

"Seen," Tanner corrected quietly and patiently. "It should be seen, not saw."
Then he looked at her for a while before letting out a breath, "Were gonna talk about that."