Chapter 51

"Where's breakfast?" I asked Bambi, throwing my hair into a ponytail.

"Oh, I didn't make it," she shrugged.

"What the hell, Bambi. I even came out in twelve minutes, thinking that maybe you'll be done with it."

"I figured we could just have chocolate chip cookies instead," she took a bite of a cookie. "It's good. Where did you get it from?"

"Some restaurant. I don't even remember the name."

"What time did you have to go to a restaurant? We dropped you off at work yesterday."

"Yep. Don't say anything stupid, but Tanner came to diner later and somehow, we ended up in a restaurant for dinner during my break time."

"What? A date? That's-" She smiled widely, putting​ the pack of cookies away and I got the feeling she was about to jump.

"It wasn't a date!" I stopped her. "Bambi, it was just dinner."

"Yeah, sure," she rolled her eyes.

"Whatever. Can we go now?" I groaned, placing a hand over my forehead.

*

"Tanner!" I heard Bambi say and I immediately turned to look at him. "Kenzi told me about your date last night!"

My eyes widened as I pulled my head out, hitting Bambi's arm, "It wasn't a date, Bambi."

She just rolled her eyes and I turned to look at Tanner apologetically as my cheeks burned up. "Don't mind Bambi, she... I, actually-" I turned again to glare at Bambi, as I said, "Bambi, she's just..." My voice trailed off.

"Well, since you don't know what to say, I'll see you two later!" Bambi said like a child, skipping happily to class.

I looked up awkwardly to Tanner, suddenly remembering how we almost kissed yesterday, but looking at him, he didn't look like he was bothered or anything. It would be better to forget about it and​ just apologize for this mess Bambi just put me in. "I- I'm sorry about that."

"You told her we went on a date?" He asked in disbelief, but what confused me more, was the smile starting to form on his lips.

"No, no." I said loudly then realized I didn't need to shout, so I said in a low tone. "You know the way Bambi is. I never told her anything like that. I mean, you? Me? Date? Psh!" I waved a hand in the air, laughing awkwardly, "That won't happen."

Something flashed in his eyes but he smiled quickly.

"Anyway, I'll just, uh, get back to searching for my Trig textbook," I turned to my locker but stopped abruptly, slowly looking back at at Tanner, saying, "Hold on one second. Tanner, where's my textbook? Or should I say, my homework?"

"Oh, it's in my bag," he said casually, like my homework was meant to be in his bag.

"Why'd you take my homework?" I asked, tilting my head to one side and squinting at him.

"We agreed that if you let me take you to dinner, I'd do your homework."

"I don't remember agreeing to that. Oh wait, only you did."

"Well, lucky for you," he shrugged and I rolled my eyes. "Well, can I have it? I need to start working on​ it before the bell rings."

He looked at me, a strange look on his face. "What was the agreement again?"

I hesitated, "Uh, that you'll do the homework," I nodded, then quickly added, "If I went with you for dinner."

"Exactly. So?" He raised an eyebrow. Okay, him doing that shit was meant to be illegal.