Chapter 42

»Which character in the book can you relate to the most?

*

I slowly dragged my eyes to look up at him and I was stuck. Stuck on his eyes. His beautiful eyes, very out of the ordinary. I couldn't stop staring and it took me a while to realise that he was staring back at me. This was the part when I was meant to say something, but my head wouldn't even process any words. He wouldn't stop staring, and my eyes dropped to his lips which were slightly open. I felt my cheeks start to go hot, and I could bet I was starting to look like a blushing mess. It was confirmed when Tanner let out a small chuckle. I peeled my away eyes from his as I smiled lightly.

"Well, uh, did you take Bambi and I home on Saturday?" I asked.

"Yeah. Me and Jesse, actually. You fell asleep."

"Oh..." I nodded slowly as my eyes then widened. "Please tell me I didn't say any weird stuff."

"To be honest, you didn't. At least you didn't complain about your shoes or anything." He smirked.

"Shoes? What does that have to do with anything?" I asked, smirking.

"I've seen a couple of drunk girls. They're either complaining about their shoes or they're just screaming, you know."

"Ah?" I folded my arms, nodding with an eyebrow raised as I looked around, realising we were still in the janitor's closet. "If I may ask, why are we in the janitor's closet?"

"Because I wanted to talk to you."

"So, anytime you want to talk to me, you're just going to stay in this closet and wait for me to walk by." I looked at him in disbelief.

He shrugged. "Well, as long as I'll be able to talk to you at the end of the day."

I chuckled. "It just feels awkward, you know, both of us having to come out of the janitor's closet." I burst into laughter.

"It's okay. I understand." He laughed too. "Right. No more janitor's closet."

I let out an exaggerated breath as I said, "Thank you!" I took a deep breath before adding. "We could talk anywhere else."

"Are you saying you always feel like talking to me?" He smirked.

I smiled up at him in disbelief. "What?-"

"I mean I know I've been a jerk to you, but... I'm actually quite decent, if you haven't noticed."

I laughed and he joined me. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't understand the feeling coming over me. Here in the janitor's closet, Tanner and I stood, laughing together. I mean, this time last two weeks, I literally hated him, and now I felt myself getting​ extremely comfortable around him. He seemed easy to talk to, easy to joke with and maybe he was right. Maybe I always feel like talking to him but never realised it.

I took a look at my wristwatch.

"Hey, we've spent half an hour in this closet." I looked at Tanner.

"What? It's too short?" He smirked.

"No, silly." I playfully rolled my eyes. "School's been over a long time ago and I really need to get home now. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Oh, yeah." He ran a hand through his hair.

"How are we getting out? I mean, I bet the hallway's still as full."

"You should go out first. I can handle the stares and shit."

I nodded. "Thanks." I walked towards the door, tucking a few strands of hair behind my ear.