Chapter 28

Chocolates or Cakes?

*

"Darren?" I looked in surprise, suddenly over conscious of what I was wearing.

He smiled, "Hey Mackenzie."

"What are you doing here?" I shook my head, "No, of course, I don't mean what are you doing here, I mean, what are you doing here?" I rambled like a fool, "Look, I-"

"Hey." He chuckled, "I think I understand what you're trying to say."

"Thank you." I sighed in relief

"I was in the neighbourhood and just decided to stop and say hi, since we don't really see in school."

"That was really thoughtful of you, uh-"I stepped aside from the door, "You could come in."

"Right." He nodded and stepped in. I closed the door and led him into the living room.

"I'm sorry. . . this house, it might not be, uh-"

"It's fine. It really doesn't matter. It looks comfortable." He said, looking around.

"It sure is." I nodded, about to ask if he'd like to eat or drink anything, but I remembered there was nothing for him to eat or drink, well, except if he wouldn't mind eating cereal or drinking water, and that didn't seem like a nice way to welcome a visitor, so I just kept my mouth shut.

"You should have a seat." I said to him. He nodded and walked over to​ the couch.

"So, how are you?" I asked him, sitting on the couch just opposite him.

"Good, I guess. Now, how are you?" He looked at me.

I smiled,"Me? I'm fine." I cleared my throat, "Of course."

"Are you sure?"

"Yep." I nodded.

"I don't know if it's me, but you look like you've been crying."

"No, that's not true." I knew I sounded very unconvincing, but whatever. "I actually just woke up from sleep."

Yeah, well, you cried before sleeping, my subconscious told me.

"Yeah? Long day?"

"You bet." I nodded, smiling and snapping a finger.

"What did you do?"

"Well, I had to go look for a job, you know."

"Did you get one?"

"Sure, I did." I nodded.

"Oh that's great." He smiled, "I think it's cool that you have something doing to just make things better for yourself, you know."

"Yeah, I figured I did need to get a job." I nodded.

"How's your mom?" He asked, concern in his eyes.

"I was at the hospital today, she looked quite okay, at least."

He smiled, nodding sympathetically, placing a hand over mine as he said, "This must be a tough time for you, but I'm sure you'll get through it."

I swallowed and smiled, "Thanks a lot, Darren."

"It's okay."

"Are you. . . are you always this nice?"

"I'm hurt." He placed a hand over this chest and I chuckled as I said, "No, I mean, you're really a nice guy."

"Why, thank you. I'm closer to my mom so I get the 'be a gentleman' talks." He rolled his eyes as we both laughed.

Just then, I heard the doorbell ring and I stopped laughing. Who could be here?
I turned to look at Darren who looked at the door, and then at me.