Chapter 67

I decided to talk to the manager about moving back to my normal shift time tomorrow, so I was working late tonight. As I worked, I realized how much I'd missed the diner– or rather, how much I'd missed the people in the diner. The way Kora and I laughed at funny things that happened, the way she mimicked some people who came into the diner, or the way both of us would rant about the douches who we had to deal with.

It was time for my break and I sat in a corner of the dressing room, a novel in my hand since I had no homework. No one was coming into the diner at the moment so Kora was also here on the phone. My attention was drawn to my phone in my bag, the green light blinking from it  signifying​ I had a text. I retrieved the phone from my bag, unlocking it and opening up the text. It was from Tanner.

~Are you home yet?~

My fingers moved across the screen, texting my reply.

~No, still at work. I have a break.~

It wasn't long when his reply came up.

~I thought you said something about leaving at ten. It's pretty much past ten already.~

I replied, calling out the words I texted in a low voice.

~Yeah, but I haven't been able to talk to the manager yet. Hopefully, I'll get to do that tomorrow.~

I tapped 'send', waiting for his reply which came in two minutes later.

~Hi Zee. I'm Renée. I just taked Tanner's phone and he'll never know.~

I laughed out at how cute Renée was, shaking my head. I hadn't replied when another text popped up.

~Well, now I know. I'm sorry, I had no idea when the girl took my phone.~

I replied, a smile on my face.

~It's fine. She really is so cute.~

I could imagine the smirk on his face when he texted

~Oh, I wonder what I am, then.~

And I decided to bring him down a little from his high.

~You're Tanner.~

Now, I could imagine the look on his face now.

~My heart just broke, Renee's running around for some glue to fix it.~

I laughed.

~You're unbelievable.~

I looked at the time on the screen. Five minutes till break was over and I wished we'd started texting earlier. I typed before he could reply my previous text.

~My break's almost over, I'll have to go soon.~

It wasn't long when he replied.

~Oh shit, now I wonder what I was doing all these while. Stay safe, anyway. Text me when you get home.~

I smiled at the fact that he felt the way I felt about having to have texted earlier.

~Yes, daddy.~

I was just rolling my eyes when his reply came in.

~I want to believe you mean father...~

I gasped, a chuckle escaping my lips before I replied.

~You perv! You know what I mean!~

I tapped 'send', getting up from where I sat, Tanner's text coming in, making me smile.

~I'm dead haha. Go back to work. Don't forget to text me when you're home.~