Chapter 20

"Kenzi! Let's go. You could get the note another day," Bambi said for what seemed like the fifth time in one minute.

"Just hold on, okay? I'm so close to getting the note." I said, digging through my locker, searching for my calculus note.

"What? I'm sure you don't actually need the note. Kenzi Starr, let's go," Bambi said.

"What's up?" I heard a voice ask.

"It's Kenzi here, we've got to head somewhere and here she is, searching for a note I'm a hundred and one percent sure she doesn't and wouldn't need," Bambi said and I heard the person chuckle.

I turned, grinning widely and lifting my calculus note in the air, "Found it!"

"Yaay, party time!" Bambi rolled her eyes.

I chuckled and looked up to see the person in front of her.

"Hey Darren!" I smiled.

"Mackenzie," he smiled. I really should get used to his voice.

"I'm sorry, Bambi." I nudged her and looked at Darren, "We have to go visit my mom, so I'll probably see you later," I said

"Oh that's no problem," he shook his head, "I'll see you guys later."

*

Bambi and I walked down the hallway, our bags both slung on one shoulder, and just as I turned to ask Bambi where she might think Ryan was, I saw her cheeks practically on fire. I immediately looked around to check for the one person that could possibly do this to her, and I saw him. Yes, I did. But this time, he wasn't alone. While three of them were meant to be having a deep conversation, Jesse's gaze was fixed on Bambi, therefore, leaving Tanner and Edward to talk.

"There are other things to do than blush, Bambi. You do that all the time. Aren't you tired of it?" I said.

"What exactly am I meant to do? I mean, am I meant to walk up to him and go like, 'Hey hot ass, I like you, let's get married and make hot babies'?"

I laughed at the seriousness in the tone of what Bambi just said. My laughter became louder when I realized, that all of a sudden, her cheeks were back to its normal color and ​she looked so serious.

"Kenzi," Bambi called.

Still laughing, I turned to look at Bambi, who looked back at me with a fucking straight face, "What?" I asked.

"Stop laughing. Nothing's funny," I noticed she said that through her teeth

"Why? You're crazy, Bambi."

"No, you are. That's why everyone's stopped doing what they're doing and has turned to look at you."

My eyes widened as I immediately stopped laughing and looked around. Everyone was looking at me! Even though, I had so many stares, the most stares were from the three guys standing by Jesse's locker. I wanted to disappear when I noticed Tanner's eyes on me.
I cleared my throat, tucking my hair behind my ear, and said to Bambi,
"Let's get out of here."

Bambi nodded and I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding when we got out to the parking lot.

"That was insane," I said, referring to what just happened in the hallway.

"Yep. And be lucky. Next time, I'm gonna leave your side and tell everyone I don't know you."

I feigned a gasp, "No, you wouldn't!"

"Try it tomorrow," Bambi laughed and we made our way to her car. I stood by the passenger's side of the car and looked at Bambi who held her keys in her hand, but wasn't unlocking the car.