Chapter 47

Ding dong!

My eyes opened sharply. Was that coming from the front door?  No, it should be Mrs. Heather's, please! Or... was I expecting someone?

I sat up immediately. Someone. I gasped. I totally forgot that today was Saturday! The day Tanner was bringing Renée over!

Ding dong!

I flew out of bed. I must look like crap right now. I ran to the bathroom and I forced myself not to look at the mirror, sure that'd I'd be too conscious if I saw what I looked like. I splashed some water on my face, at the same time trying to gargle some mouth wash.

How messy.

I threw my hair which had come out of it's bond during sleep into a messy bun. I rushed out the room through the living room.

Ding don-

"Hey!" I breathed, smiling widely, and I had to maintain the smile on my face as soon as I saw who stood in front of me.

"Hello, Mackenzie." It was Mrs. Heather. Not that I wasn't happy she was the one in front of me, I mean, she was a really pleasant widowed woman in her late sixties, but I'd just expected Tanner and Renée.

"Oh, hi Mrs. Heather!" I smiled warmly.

"I'm sorry dear, did I wake you up? You sure look like you just got out of bed."

I waved a hand in the air, half-glad that I wasn't hearing those words from Tanner. "It's okay, Mrs. Heather, I was just sleeping in."

"That's okay. I noticed you got home really, really late yesterday, are you doing fine?"

"Yep. I am, thanks for asking Mrs. Heather."

"Sure. What about your mom? Is she in?"

My smile disappeared. "No she isn't."

"Right. I haven't seen her for quite some time now. Is she okay, Mackenzie?"

I let out a breath as I licked my lip, not sure of what to say.

"I- I'm sorry." Mrs. Heather said, "If she's not okay, tell her she'll be fine. I'll be praying for her." She nodded, "Anyway, I baked these fresh this morning." She lifted a basket I didn't realize she'd been holding, and I could smell​ cinnamon rolls. "My son will be coming back from Canada today." She smiled proudly.

I smiled at her, taking the basket from her. "Wow. Thanks a lot, Mrs. Heather, this was very sweet and kind of you. Say hello to Michael when he comes."

"Sure, I will."

"Well, thanks for stopping buy and dropping this. I'm sure I'll enjoy it." I lifted the basket, smiling.

"No problem. If you think there's a problem with it, just come tell me."

I chuckled. "Thanks!"

*

I'd just done a few stuff before the doorbell rang again.

I still hadn't taken a bath, but I'd brushed but I hoped I was looking more presentable. I walked up to the door, opening it carefully.

"Hi!" Renée's greeted, jumping, her small hands in Tanner's.

I chuckled, "Hey there, Renée. How are you?"

"Good!" She said, clearly excited.

I smiled, looking up at Tanner. "Hey."

"Hi. Sorry, I had no idea if this was a great time to bring her." He said.