~ (21) Trial of The Forbidden Lands (Part II) ~

Bang!

A yellow beam traveled through the wind. Arisa heard a cry of pain before the monster dropped Nina's body and touched its wound.

Arisa turned around and saw that Thelma was the one who fired the beam. As Thelma held her weapon with trembling arms, her face expressed despair.

"I-I think I got it in time," she said, her voice cracking.

With every part of her body trembling, Arisa stared at Thelma. She turned back to the horrible scene and was amazed to see Nina stand up. The beast's teeth had done nothing worse than pull Nina's ponytail out from its tie.

"She's alive!" Relief flowed through Arisa's veins as she fought to hold back her tears.

"Not for long," said Train.

Arisa glanced at the masked boy, her forehead wrinkling. She quickly shifted her gaze back to the scene in front of them. As Nina ran towards them, Arisa noticed that the beast was following her.

"We have to help her."  Bastian sprinted forward.

As Arisa watched Bastian approaching his comrade, she noticed that the beast had caught its target. Nina shouted and cried as the beast threatened to kill her. Even though Bastian was running with all his strength, the distance between him and Nina was a bit far.

At that rate, Bastian wouldn't reach Nina on time.

By instinct, Arisa rushed to the scene. As she grabbed her sword, she passed Bastian and reached the area before him.

When she reached the beast she didn't hesitate to slash its arm, forcing it to drop her friend and roar at the freshly formed deep wound.

"Quickly, let's go," she said, helping her friend to stand up.

As Nina shakily stood up, the beast roared so loudly that they covered their ears. It slowly approached them, roaring. Arisa sacrificed her hearing to grab the sword she had dropped.

"Make it stop!" cried Nina.

Arisa glared at the beast, tightening her grip on her sword, ready to attack. Her brows arched as she realized that the beast wasn't attacking. It was growling as if it were trying to communicate with her.

"What?" said Arisa, a frown forming on her forehead.

The white beast growled as it held its bleeding arm. A sudden dilemma slammed her heart.

"Kill it," begged Nina. "It's going to attack us!"

Arisa wouldn't stop looking at the desperate beast. Through those blank glowing white eyes, she somehow saw fear in that monster.

"But," said Arisa, hesitation flowing in her veins.

The beast in front of her was already injured. From the bleeding arm that almost could fall, to the burnt hole on its left shoulder that was caused by Thelma's weapon.

"Are you feeling sorry for a monster that almost had your friend for lunch?" asked Nina, shock overflowing her tone.

With those words, Arisa prepared herself to fight once again. She saw an expression of despair on the beast's pink face.

"I'm sorry," said Arisa, closing her eyes.

This would be her first kill. As she prepared her weapon, the beast growled once again. For some reason, she could sense fear and sadness in that growl.

She bit her lower lip and fell to her knees.

"I-I'm sorry," she said, her voice shaky. "I can't."