~ (26) Beyond Memories ~

Please don't die.

The first thing her eyes saw was a sunny sky covered with a few fluffy clouds. She quickly stood up, the light fresh breeze messing her dark hair even more. As soon as she stood up, she realized that she was in an endless field of tall brown grass that reached her waist.

"Is this the afterlife?" she asked herself, examining her surroundings.

There was nothing besides the endless sea of golden brown grass. It seemed as though she was the only person standing in that awfully quiet land.

She sighed. "I guess that I really left the mortal world."

"No, you didn't," said a soothing female voice.

Arisa's heart leaped. She glanced around, looking for the owner of that familiar voice. Her gaze spotted a blue butterfly flapping its wings in front of her.

"You again? Why do I have to see you even after my death?"

The butterfly giggled. "You're not dead, little Arisa. Not yet."

Arisa frowned as she gazed at the butterfly doubtfully.

"You're just unconscious," continued the butterfly. "Everyone is working hard to make sure you live. Apparently, when they decided to treat you, Scorpio's venom had already spread in your body."

"Scorpio," Arisa repeated.

A waterfall of memories bathed her mind. Images of herself being trapped in the water drop flashed before her eyes. She remembered fighting Scorpio with such despair that she let her guard down, allowing the Guardian to strike her left shoulder.

She touched the area where the spear had pierced her. Wrinkles of surprise appeared on her forehead as she noticed that everything on her shoulder was intact. Even her white jacket seemed to be brand new.

A memory of Scorpio's final attack flashed before her eyes, but, for some reason, she couldn't picture the person who saved her.

Don't you dare leave me. She remembered her rescuer's voice. Something within her was telling her that she had heard that voice before.

"You're surrounded by such caring people," said the butterfly. "I'm actually jealous."

Arisa gazed at the butterfly, speechless.

"Too bad most of them are liars," added the butterfly.

"I'm sorry," replied Arisa, her tone firm, "but I'm not in the mood to hear your nonsense. I believe my grandparents."

"Oh, I wasn't talking about your grandparents," said the butterfly, giggling. "Even if you say you believe them, your memories say otherwise. But let's forget them for a bit; there are other liars in your life."

Arisa thought of leaving the area. She really didn't feel like hearing any more of the butterfly's words. But as she looked around the area to find a place to hide from it, she realized that no matter where she went, the butterfly would follow her.

"Have you ever wondered why you met the Haruki family?" asked the butterfly, its tone cheerful.

"No," replied Arisa. "I always thought that their warm welcome after we moved to their neighborhood was the seed of our deep friendship."

Arisa remembered the first time she moved to Aurora City, she was five years old back then. Elise was one of the many people who welcomed them to their neighborhood. Elise was kind enough to invite them for dinner; that night, Arisa had the pleasure to meet Kazuya and his father.

"That's a great theory," said the butterfly playfully. "But there is a specific reason why your aunt approached your family."

Arisa looked sideways, exhaling. She couldn't believe that the butterfly was going to toss Elise in its mind games.