~ (39) Childhood: The First Encounter (Part I) ~

Arisa's heart sped as it pumped adrenaline in her veins.

A roar broke the air, forcing her heart to increase its beat rate. Her legs were heavy as she forced them to increase speed. Air slapped her face and messed the long dark hair that was tied in a ponytail.

Arisa opened her eyes, fighting the air that irritated them. She dared to look behind to see the threat that was chasing her. Through the dimly illuminated woods, she couldn't see the beast. But judging by the loud stomps, she guessed it wasn't too far away.

She set her view to the front. Panting, she searched for a perfect place to hide and trick the threat.

She almost fell as she looked for a perfect hideout. She regained her posture and rushed into the large bushes she saw on her left side. The vegetation cruelly dug into her skin, forming scratches as she threw herself into it.

As Arisa tried to hide comfortably, she calmed down.

"I think we can escape if we stay here," she whispered, trying to recover her breath. "Right, Niko?"

As she didn't hear any response, Arisa glanced around. Through the thick bushes, she didn't see a medium length, four-legged creature with long ears.

Her heart hammered. "Niko?"

She glanced around nervously, wondering if she left the jeweline behind.

But she was running by my side a minute ago.

She hoped that it at least would be okay.

A roar followed by stomps cracked the air. Stunned, Arisa noticed that the creature that was chasing her had reached her area. Scared and worried, she curled up in silence, hoping for the beast not to find her or her furry companion.

Out of the blue, sounds of two objects clashing drummed Arisa's ears. The sounds persisted, followed by a roar and a growl.

"Niko," said Arisa, recognizing the enraged growl.

She quickly moved some leaves from the bush. Peeking through the small space, her eyes widened and her heart raced upon seeing the scene.

A few meters away from her hideout, two creatures were battling. One of the creatures was large, a mix of blue and white fur covered its tough body. Its ears and tail were curled, like fluffy clouds.

The beast roared as it tried to break the light purple shield the cat-like creature formed with the crystal stuck on its forehead.

With each stomp the beast used to break the shield, Arisa's worry increased. She wanted to scream for help. But being in the middle of the woods at a late hour, she was sure no one would show up to help.

She glanced around nervously, thinking of what to do. Her small hands met the pommel of a sword placed under her belt.

She grabbed her sword and examined it. Usually, she would walk around with a wooden sword to spar with her grandfather and friends. But now that she was ten years old, her grandfather bought her a real blade as a sign of confidence in her abilities.

Arisa took a deep breath. She moved away from her hideout and charged the monster that was threatening her companion.

An annoyed growl filled the air as her short sword scratched the beast's back.

"Come on Niko, let's go," called Arisa.

The black cat-like creature quickly joined her, running away from the blue-white beast.

After running several steps away from the beast, a sudden wind pushed her sideways. She grunted as her right arm and leg clashed with the nearest tree. Her eyes watered from the impact.