Chapter 29

Lauren jolted awake; sitting bolt upright, and if it were not for the metal bars on either side of her hospital bed she would have gone careening over the side on to the floor.

Her head spun like she was drunk, not that she'd ever been drunk before, but she imagined this is what it would feel like.

She looked around the room to see that it brimmed with hospital beds. They were all lined up in even neat rows on either side of the long corridor like room. Where was she? It didn't look like a hospital despite having the right equipment. It looked like a big warehouse, but they could be anywhere or anywhen given the immense power of the council.

Machines whirred and beeped and kids groaned, while in among the beds, Mages worked tirelessly to help the injured.

She searched the sea of faces looking for Zach, but he was nowhere to be seen. Then she started searching for anyone else she might know.

Her eyes lucked upon Travis and Meghan looking dejected and strung-out sitting on a bed a few rows down. She didn't want to yell down to them, but the other alternative was pulling out the IV on her own that she just noticed was attached to her bandaged arm – and yeah . . . no thanks.

"Pssssssst," she tried quietly. She winced when all conscious heads turned to see what the fuss was about in the too quiet room.

Thankfully Meg and Trav looked up too. Immediately Lauren started gesturing for them to come over to her like a mad woman.

They made their way over to her bed gingerly trying to stay out of the way of the working Mages. All the while Lauren had kept up her impatient hand gesturing; beckoning them to go faster, "Come on, come on." She muttered under her breath.

As soon as they were close enough that Lauren wouldn't disturb anybody she stage whispered, "Where is everybody."

She really wanted to know about Zach, but she thought it might be rude of her to only ask about him.

Ever since she'd woken up the Mage's words, and the vision of him shocking Zach, had been playing on repeat in her mind and she was nearly frantic again waiting for their response.

"Cam, Kyle, and Zach are in surgery." Meg said mournfully.

"It's really bad," Travis interjected, "There was some sort of poison metal used which is resistant to magic. They're working on getting the metal out surgically and were all just hoping that once they get it out the troll bile will work.

All the others who just had lacerations are fine now and waiting for word in the waiting room.

Meg shivered and continued conspiratorially, "that not all. I overheard a Mage talking to another one and the council has ordered that no one can leave."

"They spelled the human parents to believe that the critically injured kids are on a school trip. That we all are."

"What does that mean?" Lauren demanded reaching for Trav, "Tell me!"

A female Mage looked over at her disapprovingly so she lowered her voice and hissed through clenched teeth, "Tell me!"

Trav cleared his throat nervously. OMG he was nervous to tell her. Lauren closed her eyes dreading the news.

"Lauren," he reached out his hand to her apologetically, "It means that they don't expect them to live.

Her heart stopped in her chest – it literally shriveled up and died.

Meg growled, "Those bastards are going to fake a school bus accident to explain the dead and injured."

Meg began to quietly cry while all Lauren could manage to do was sit there in stunned silence.

"T-t-they can't do that, "Lauren stammered," that can't be right?" There has got to be some other explanation. Where is he? I've got to see him. He needs me." Oh my God she was babbling like an idiot.

The room began to swim in her vision as tears threaten to fall, but she quickly switched from babbling mode to reassuring mode when she saw Travis start to cry.

She reached for him and clutched his sinewy forearm like a lifeline to say, "They're going to be fine; they're just preparing for the worst in the unlikely event that something happens. Which it won't, "Lauren hurried on in an attempt to reassure them, but neither looked like they believed her.

So she blurted out, "What about Brenna's grandfather; he's a legendary shaman and healer if anyone can figure it out it's him, and Knight," she added, "he's the best alchemist in the Northern Hemisphere?"

Trav wiped his eyes furiously and said, "They're the ones that figured out the problem and trust me they're looking for a solution, but they're stumped Lauren. And they are running out of time"

"They think it was some sort of ancient herbal potion, but without the exact idea of what they used George says there's a slim chance they will be able to concoct an antidote," Meg added with a hitch in her voice.

"But there's still hope. They'll find something, I just know it. The guys will be teasing us about how worried we were in no time. I promise you." Lauren implored them to believe her.

They just had to believe her . . .

                                                             . . . Hope was all they had left. 

Tune in tomorrow to find out if the gang can find away to save Zach, Kyle, and Cameron.

********************THANKS FOR READING***************

If you liked this chapter Vote, Comment, add this book to your reading list, or suggest it to a friend. I want to thank all my readers for helping me reach my goal of  10,000 reads, 2.5 votes, and 1k followers by the third month anniversary on Sept 7th. I got there yesterday, well not the 1k followers but I'm almost there. I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks guys. 

I like to scout great books that I've found that haven't got a lot of reads yet and truly deserve it. Please go and show these writers some love:  

The Dragon Princess by dahfne22

Issues: The Riley Chronicles by OMTRobbie

Dragon Blood by Yo2Yolo