Chapter 13

Phineas and Ferb

Cam woke on the bathroom floor his muscles feeling stiff, but other than that nothing else hurt including his stomach. It growled noisily, but the dry heaves were gone. Happily he noted the itch was back. He never thought he'd celebrate that feeling, but here he was rejoicing at the ache.

He got up stiffly not even bothering to change out of the clothes he'd fallen asleep in last night. His mouth was cottony and tasted like day old rat shit, so he took a second to wash it out with mouthwash and as he looked in the mirror he saw his hair was matted to his forehead on one side and he still had the lines of the outline of the tiles across his face like a checker board. If anyone saw him on the way to the beach this morning they would probably call the cops thinking there's a vagrant loose on their posh little street, but there was no time to deal with it, if he wanted to get into the water while the itch was still present. He'd better do it now.

He exited the bathroom and grabbing his backpack, slung it over his aching back while he opened and closed the door silently. He made his way to the beach covering the distance with sure easy strides. Why not? Determination was the name of the game now. All he had between him and rejection was his determination.

He made it to the shore, quickly undressed and wrapped the skin around his waist. Once he dove in he went right for the breakwater and never looked back. Confidence and determination where going to be his new mantra. From now on no more whiny bitch; or oh woe is me why is this happening to me, shit? It was solutions or nothing.

He swam for an hour and then excited the water in the cold February chill, dressed quickly and strode home. After a killer breakfast he showered and helped his mom get the girls ready for school. He brewed his second pot of coffee while waiting for Meg and sucked back his sixth cup. He was getting the jitters, but who cares. The java juice gave him confidence and he told himself again confidence and determination is what life's all about now.

Megan pulled into the driveway and he was already suited and booted and ready for a kick ass day. No more moaning about his circumstances! He was going to own this life!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After school, Cam reflected on his crazy day while he set up his equipment in the lab.

The news of the forced conscription spread like wildfire and it was all the Enlightened could talk about. The cafeteria was abuzz with the loud whispers of the magical students. No one was even bothering to cast privacy spells and the teachers had to wipe more than a few Unenlightened because of it. Magical classes that afternoon were awash. Nobody was paying attention and there was more than a little dissention among the ranks.

The teachers couldn't talk about it because of the gag order and yet it was all the kids could talk about. The kids were more than pissed at the teachers for not having their backs and he saw the evidence of that in training after school. Whenever a teacher was paired up with a student to demonstrate a martial art move the kids took out their frustration on them. Kelly had even managed to get the better of Murakami, her Kitsune trainer, and had driven her into the mat so hard they could clearly hear a few bones break. That was the very first time they ever saw a teacher require the god awful troll bile. The teachers wised up after that though, and only matched up students with students. After school Meg had her swim class so he'd kissed her goodbye and took the bus home. He had work to do, and nothing was getting in the way of that, not anymore.

And now here he was standing in front of an over flowing table. Every piece of equipment he owned was on display. He had stopped at the pet store and had purchased live crickets and as an afterthought mice. He knew Meg's views on animal cruelty, and he didn't want to hurt the little buggers either, but this was it. No more pussyfooting around! He was sure if she had to decide between him and a few mice she'd prefer him, at least that's what he told himself after placing them in their cage. When he dropped them in one sat up on its hind legs and cupped its little hands out looking like he was begging for a treat and Cameron coldly looked away. He could not afford to get attached.