Chapter 15

Travis sat at his small kitchen table wishing that for once they could have comfort food like pancakes and bacon or waffles and sausages, instead of fruit salad. Kyle had kept him up most of the night talking, not like he could have slept anyway and deep down he'd known Kyle couldn't either, but damn son he was tired. He could use a greasy breakfast chock-full of protein and lots and lots of fat and empty calories.

He simply refused to think of it as a last meal, but how could he not draw the comparison. Last time they went head to head with Liam they'd had their assess handed to them on an epic scale.

After immobilizing every single one of them with a flick of a finger, Liam had said and done unspeakable things to Megan. Thank God Lauren found the counter-spell for the immobility spell soon after, because it would truly suck to be helpless in front of Liam and his misfits again.

Every time he'd tried to sleep last night he'd pictured that freak kissing Megan against her will and laughing cruelly at her tears and it made him for once actually want to hurt someone. Nope Liam most assuredly did not bring out his passive side.

It was Sunday the day the family volunteered together to make a difference in their community. Today they were signed up as part of the city's beautification crew -- which simply meant they'd go to the city parks, walkways, and bike trails and pick up trash, all day. And to say his heart wasn't in it would be an understatement.

It was raining steadily outside and it looked like one of those rare cold days for spring in San Fran. Who knew what could happen tonight -- not to be a drama queen or anything, but today could be his last day on earth. Did he really want to spend it cold and wet picking up litter, on the affluent side of town? Oh yeah, it was no coincidence their crews always got sent there.

No, he'd much rather spend the day working with Lucky. If he only had one day left to make a difference he'd want it to be saving a life. That decided it for him.

"Bruno, Bo, "Travis looked at both his foster parents, "would you mind if I go into the shelter today?"

Travis explained all about Lucky and the dog fighting ring and the other dogs that hadn't made it and finally sadly that if he couldn't rehabilitate Lucky he'd suffer the same fate.

His foster parents loved animals almost as much as he did. You could tell they missed the animals on the farm, but still you could have knocked him over with a feather when they said what they said next.

Bo looked at Bruno and smiled her big infectious smile. The one he could never resist and said, "Let's adopt him Bruno. It could be so great. He could come out with us every day to the gardens. It would be great therapy for him. Can we really let that poor animal suffer that fate because humans can be cruel?" she beseeched him with her eyes.

Bruno could never say no to her. He loved her that much, "Okay but only if Travis can rehabilitate him. We can't have him attacking other animals or humans at the gardens."