Chapter One

I have always been told to make the best of my life. Have fun. Live free. Take chances. But how I see it, maybe throwing yourself out there isn't the only way.

My seventeen year old life isn't what I had imagined it being when I was younger. I'm not caught up in dramatic fights with my parents. I'm not sneaking out late at night. I'm not spending my days shopping. I don't have an adoring and perfect boyfriend.

No. I work in a small bookstore at the edge of town. I have friends, I'm not a loner. My best friend, Sierra, is basically the complete opposite of me. She loves to shop. She has model status looks. She is kind, caring, a freaking genius, and has an amazing talent in artwork.

What I do with my life: read, write, and schoolwork. What are my future goals? The average, get through high school. Get a job. Don't live in my mom's basement.

Every good girls' parents tell them how much potential they have, how successful they can be, yatta, yatta. My parents are no different. Their little girl can do no wrong, she lives an absolutely perfect life.

A common misconception: I'm ordinary. My life is not ordinary, full of rainbows and popsicles. It may seem to be so, but there isn't anything ordinary about my life. Just, my story is not the same high school story some people may dream of. The jock who rules the whole school falls for the shy little schoolgirl. Not exactly the cliché happy ending I get.

No, but this is the story of me. Jordan Green. And though I may be presumed to be simple and predictable in my little story, I most certainly am not.

***********************************

The light turns red and the 'walk' sign shows up. I cross the street quickly, my arms crossed, keeping out the crisp cold air. The small bookstore is straight ahead of me. It is only a few blocks from my school, so I walk straight here when the bell rings, signaling the end of school.

A little bell jingles when I enter the door. I walk around the counter and set my backpack down. I clip my name tag onto my shirt and grab the book I am currently reading.

"Ah, Jordan. I was wondering when you'd show up. I was getting worried." Sheryl, the book store owner, steps out of the little back room to greet me. She is in her mid-thirties, fairly tall, and is very pretty. She has long black hair and dark blue eyes.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I would've been here sooner, but my teacher was talking to me and kept me late to tutor one of the star boys on the basketball team. Needs to keep his math grade up to play," I say.

She laughs, softly. "Let me tell you, I am more than glad I'm not in high school anymore."

"True statement."

We get started as usual. I flip the sign to say 'OPEN' and add some new books onto the shelves that just arrived today. Sheryl sits at the counter, humming to herself and typing things into her computer.

The bell chimes and a little girl walks in. She looks, maybe nine. Her blonde hair is pulled back into two pony tails on the sides of her head. She's grinning from ear to ear.

"Come on, Gramma!" She squeals. "I want to get a book! You promised!"

A little old lady enters after her, rubbing her hands together to rid them of the cold. She wraps her scarf a little tighter around her neck.

"Lizzie, what kind of book do you want?" The lady asks.

"I don't know, Gram. This place has so many books!" Lizzie says. I smile to myself, watching them out of the corner of my eye while I place the amount stickers on the new books.

"Excuse me, Miss," Lizzie approaches me. "I was wondering if you could help me find a book."

I smile, nod, and step into a new aisle. The little girl follows me. I scan the rows of books, trying to find the one I am looking for.