Chapter Fourteen

Chapter 14

"Okay, really, we need to do something fun today. It's my first day home!" Jacob exclaims, tipping the box of Fruity Pebbles over. I immediately grab the box and stand it back up, glaring at him.

"Your first day was yesterday," I say dryly.

"Isn't somebody cranky this morning..." Jacob says.

"Hmm, maybe it was a rude awakening from a beautiful sleep..." I say, continuing our staring contest.

"And did the love of your life laying underneath you have anything to do with that 'beautiful' sleep you didn't want me to interrupt?" Jacob asks with a smirk.

"I... What... I-I... N-no!" I don't even have to ask if my cheeks are red. I know they're burning.

"Denial."

"Sh-shut up!" I groan.

Then I shovel bites of cereal into my mouth angrily. My hand doesn't stop scooping and my mouth doesn't stop chewing. My cheeks are full of food, yet I am about to fit another spoonful into my mouth. Then my eyes flicker up to see that everyone is sitting there watching me. I suddenly feel very self conscious. So, like any logical person, I attempt to swallow the whole bite in one gulp. And that causes me to start choking. And I spit a bunch of the chewed cereal onto my spoon.

Jacob howls with laughter and leans over the table, wiping tears from his eyes. Ray is chuckling and shaking his head. And Sierra looks utterly disgusted.

I immediately drop the spoon into my bowl and wipe my face, standing up. I bring the bowl to the sink and rinse it out.

"Can we do something, though?" Jacob asks, as I walk back to the table of people who have now collected themselves.

"If you can think of something with that minuscule brain of yours," I reply flatly.

"Thanks. What a supportive sister."

"Anytime."

Sierra clears her throat. "How about we go to that amusement park?"

"Ninja Fun Place? I love it there! Oh my gosh! Yes!" Jacob exclaims.

"Alright, lets go there," Ray says, smiling as always. "I'm all for it."

"Fine. If I get no say in this, I suppose I'm being dragged there," I say.

"Cheer up, it's going to be fun!" Ray says, wrapping his arms around me.

By the time the shock goes away, I'm already let go of. I can't help but feel disappointed at the shortness of the embrace...

I slap my face, scolding myself about having those thoughts.

"Jordan, why on earth did you just smack yourself?" Jacob asks, looking amused.

I open my mouth to answer, yet none comes out. And I am not planning on answering.

"Why did I ever end up with such a strange sister?" Jacob asks, shaking his head.

**********************************

The four of us stand in line, waiting to pay for admission into Ninja Fun Place. Where my real family lives. I can say hi.

"Next."

We all step up, an I pull out my wallet. I grab two twenties out and am about to hand it over to the woman, but it's grabbed out of my hands from someone else. Then I see Ray is handing over enough for the two of us.

"Two admissions, please," he says, smiling. Then he hands me back my money and I frown at him.

"I could've paid for myself, you know," I explain, frowning at him.