Chapter Sixteen

"So," George breaks the silence. "We're going to be here awhile."

"So it seems," I confirm. The rain and/or sleet pounding on every window of the house proves my point.

Jacob leans his head back on his hands and laughs, "With absolutely zero parent supervision."

"Yeah, who's gonna cook?" I tap my chin with my fingertips.

"Hah, real funny," Jacob says, eyes closed. "We've got mini corndogs in the freezer."

"I can't really cook," George says. "Unless you want... Mini corndogs. I can make those."

"That's awesome," I tell him. "Yeah, don't really want to have mini corndogs for every meal."

Of course, Jacob and I did go through that phase once. We ate corndogs and pizza rolls all the time when mom was gone. It was literally the only food we ate for about two months straight. Super unhealthy, yeah. I think he was purposely trying to fatten me up. Something he would do.

Ray clears his throat. "Should we watch a movie or something? Or even go to bed, it's kind of late."

"Lets watch a movie!" I holler, standing up immediately and running to the shelf of disks. Disney, action, horror, mystery, romance, chick flicks, or comedy. I am about to pull out Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (such an awesome movie), But a hand is reaching over my shoulder and pulls a movie out before I have a chance to, and I see Jacob slide the disk into the DVD player.

I pick up the container and look at the cover. Scrunch my nose. This is most definitely not Harry Potter. Laaaame.

"Inception?" I raise my eyebrows at Jacob.

"Inception," he nods.

With no further explanation coming, I just walk over to the couch and sit next to Ray. I see the corner if his lips turn up, and he turns his head away slightly, to where George is.

As the movie goes on, I get more and more confused at what's happening. Is this real life? Is that a dream's dream? Somebody please explain the meaning of this life to me.

Somewhere in the middle, Ray pulls me closer to him and I don't pass up the opportunity to rest my head on his shoulder. His warmth envelopes me.

Since this movie is confusing as heck, I just let my eyes close and fall asleep.

***********************************

"I'll take her up, it's okay. I've got it." A whisper.

"You sure?" Another.

"Yeah."

I'm lifted. My subconscious self leans my head closer to the person, and I smell detergent and soap. That can only be one person. I'm just too tired to linger on the thought.

I'm swaying with every step the person holding me takes. I'm rocking, rocking me deeper into sleep.

I'm set down on my bed and covers are placed over me, immediately warming me. And a kiss is placed on my forehead.

"Goodnight Jordan," the voice says. The voice that is Ray's.

***********************************

The delicious smell of cinnamon fills me and I shoot out of bed. Cinnamon rolls? Mom made cinnamon rolls? She never does anymore! My favorite!

I throw my legs out of bed and stand so quickly that my vision starts to black. I have to grab the wall to steady myself.

As soon as my vision is recovered, I hurry down the hallway, slipping in my fuzzy socks. I attempt to turn the corner. Attempt.