Chapter Five

Chapter 5

"Sheryl?" I call out when I walk into the bookstore. There is no answer. I flip on the lights and peer into the back room. I guess she isn't here.

I turn over the sign in the window so it says 'Open' then I sit back behind the counter. I grab my backpack and begin my math homework.

Even though I am actually really good at math, I honestly hate it. It bores me to death. My mom actually told me that she hasn't used math for over eighteen years. So what's the point of this?

The bell jingles, and of course Lizzie walks inside. She wears rainbow leggings and a green top. Her blonde hair falls in ringlets.

"Hey, Liz," I say.

"Hi there. Guess what?" She says with a huge grin.

"What?" I ask.

"It's my birthday in two weeks!" She squeals.

"Oh, that is so exciting!" I say.

"Yes, it sure is! I'm going to be nine!" She exclaims.

"Are you having a party?" I ask.

"No, I just want a cake."

I laugh. Of course, the cake. "Oh, yes. Cake is delicious."

"Especially chocolate cake. With rainbow sprinkles!" She says.

"Mmmmm, that does sound good!"

She laughs and then skips to the bookshelves in search of new books. I smile as I watch her.

The bell dings again, and someone I didn't expect to walk in comes. Jack.

"Jack?" I ask, in shock.

"Oh, hey Jordan," he says casually.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

He walks up and grabs the first book he finds, which just so happens to be a science manual.

"You know, just gettin' books. Been coming here for a while now," he says, leaning back awkwardly against the shelves.

I laugh, a little too hard, and say, "I've been working here for about four years now. Since I was a freshman. And I haven't seen you even once."

"That's because I wear an invisibility cloak when I come."

"Makes sense. Don't want the star player to be seen in a bookstore, now do we?" I say with a hint I mockery in my tone.

"Exactly, that's too embarrassing." He smirks at me.

"Really, why are you here?" I ask. I notice Lizzie peering around the corner of the bookshelves, her green eyes wide.

"I want a book."

"You? A book?" I scoff.

"Yes. Any book of your choice. I want it."

"The one you're holding," I say, amused, and raise my eyebrows. He looks at the science manual.

"Ha-ha. Very funny," he says.

"Hey, you said 'any.'"

"Do you hate me?" He asks, putting the science manual back in its spot. Thank you, sir, for not putting it on the floor.

"Not necessarily."

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asks.

"It means, I don't even know you, therefore it is a 'pass' on that question. But so far, you have eaten your homework, hidden in a bathroom, and walked out on me."