Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11

6:56. Rapid breath.

6:57. Heart beating fast.

6:58. Shaking hands.

6:59. A ring of the doorbell. I jump up and Sierra does too. She's grinning from ear to ear. I feel shaky with excitement. Sierra gestures to me to answer the door then gives me a thumbs up and rushes upstairs.

I try to calm myself as I walk to the front door. I do one last check of myself and take a deep breath.

I open the door to find a highly attractive guy smiling at me. He wears a nice blue button up shirt and dark denim jeans. I can't help but notice how good he looks, charming smile and all. No, Ray isn't a bulky football player. No, he isn't some jock who's overly popular. He's Ray, fun Ray, awesome Ray, nerdy Ray, and I love that about him. He's different than every other girl in America would think of their dream guy being. But he doesn't care, and I think he's perfect.

"You look... Beautiful," Ray says, reaching his hand out to guide me to his car.

"Thanks, Ray. You don't look half bad yourself," I say, throwing him a grin.

Ray chuckles a little before opening my door to let me in the passenger side of his silver Honda Civic. He gives me a huge heart stopping smile that seems to not be able to leave his face.

As soon as he's in the car beside me, he cranks up the heat, warming me immediately. I watch the houses pass by as we drive, relaxing more than I had been ten minutes ago. I have nothing to worry about. This is Ray.

"So, how has your day been?" Ray asks.

"Terrible," I state.

"I bet it has been, since I only just got here," Ray says, looking at me for a moment.

"Keep your eyes on the road, mister. I would rather not end up dead tonight," I say.

"Hey, I can't help myself from wanting to look at you," Ray says.

I feel heat flying to my face, and no, it is not from the car heater. Simple compliment, gentlemanly gesture, but that's something new to me.

I tuck my hair back behind my ears and find my gaze on Ray now. His focus is on the road. He has his regular small smile on his face, brown eyes bright in the streetlight shining into the car. He's humming a song.

His focus snaps to me and his smirk grows wider.

"What? Can't resist looking at me, eh?" Ray asks, laughing a little.

My face grows hotter, if that is possible. "Psshhh, what makes you think... Okay, fine. Maybe."

That makes both me and him burst out laughing, which may I add, might not be the best thing to happen while driving. I wipe a tear from my eye, trying to contain myself and get back in control.

"What have you been doing all day?" I ask Ray.

"You know, the usual."

"The usual, huh?" I ask, quirking an eyebrow.

"The usual," Ray confirms.

"And the usual happens to be...?" I ask, gesturing for him to continue with my hand.

"Oh, breathing. Living. Shipping your cat to Alaska in a container full of chips and guac," Ray says, flashing me a smile.

"Yeah, Penelope would love that."

"Yeah, that's why I did it, duh. C'mon, Jor, getcha head in the game," Ray says.

"Okay, one: Did you just call me Jor? And two: Do you want me to burst out singing High School Musical?" I ask, smirking at him.