Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13

"Hey, Jordan would you mind coming into the store today? I know it's your day off, but we could really use the help today," Sheryl says.

I tilt my phone closer to my face. "Yeah, no problem."

"Thank you so much. You're great."

"You know it."

After shoving my feet into my converse and throwing on a sweatshirt, I run down the stairs and leave my mom a note.

I hurry out the door and begin the walk to the shop. The wind is blowing my hair into all directions, and it doesn't want to stay tucked behind my ears. I end up just giving up and let it fly into my face.

"Jor?" I hear a familiar voice say.

I turn around and see, through all my hair, Ray standing in a driveway with Shannon. I quickly try to pull my hair out if my face and fail.

"Almost didn't recognize you looking like a possessed little girl," he teases, grinning.

"Aw, so touching. I try." And I attempt to flip my hair but its already flying around in my face.

"What are you doing?" He asks, approaching me.

"Going to work," I answer, looking down at my phone.

"You late?" Ray asks, raising his eyebrows.

"Nah, just got called in. It's busy," I hold my hair back with both arms. Not only my hands, but my arms are blocking.

"Let me give you a ride," Ray says, smirking.

"I'm okay."

"No, Jor. Do we have to go through this again? Just get in my car," Ray says, moving towards the car.

"But you'll leave Shannon while you guys are hanging out." I try to keep my face straight while speaking her name. No, I can't seriously be jealous of him hanging out with his friend. He's known her longer than me. Which also means he knows her better. That also ups her chances of-

I need to stop. I hit myself in the face, then rub the sore spot when I realize that it actually hurt. I hear a snicker and turn to find Ray trying to cover it up with a cough.

"He was leaving anyways," Shannon says, shrugging, and walking back into her house.

"C'mon, lets go!" Ray says, grabbing my hand to drag me to the car.

I am too dazed by the fact that he just willingly took my hand to realize that he is also forcing me into his car. He could be a kidnapper in disguise, yet all I'm thinking about is the contact.

With his free hand, Ray opens the passenger door and lets me inside. I let out a sigh of defeat and climb in.

After the short car ride has ended, Ray and I walk into the book store. True to what Sheryl said, it is very busy today. Not very often does something like this happen, so this is great.

"Jordan, dear! Can you take this counter? I need to run and take some books out of the storage unit," Sheryl explains, waving me over.

"Oh, yes. Sure." I hurry behind the counter in order to help the others in line.

I help all the customers in line with their purchases and direct others to where certain books are. Then I find a familiar person standing right next to me.

"Ray! You can't be back here," I explain, shoving him lightly.

"I'm helping you," he explains, pulling out a chair to sit on.