Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15

The bright and colorful lights, chilly weather, and cheerful singing are all sure signs of Christmas coming. With only two weeks left until then, our family of four is busy shopping for the perfect presents. Always last minute shoppers, we are.

Of course, our school has some Christmas ideas of its own. Before we go on break in a week, there is a dance. It is suitably named 'Winter Wonderland,' so clever.

As I stand studying the poster in the hallway, I can hear the giggling of girls behind me. I turn to leave, but come face to face with Audrey Simmens. The girl is a psychotic cheerleader and has that ridiculous smile plastered on her face permanently.

Before I let my annoyance get the best of me, I attempt to move out of the way. Of course, the sophomore stands in my way. She tilts her head slightly.

"Excuse me," I demand, rather that ask.

But her curvy self is still blocking my path to the cafeteria. "What's your name?" She asks, narrowing her eyes at me.

"That's not your business."

"Oh, it isn't?" She asks, giving me a stupid puppy dog face. Seriously? Grow up.

"Do I even know you?" I ask, rubbing my eyes tiredly.

"Everyone knows me. Are you kidding me?" Audrey asks, placing a hand on her hips.

"Please. Just move. I want to eat," I tell her, shoving her out of the way. But before I leave, she catches my wrist and tugs me back.

Her brown eyes glare down at me. The girl's long legs make her seem more intimidating than she is. "Who do you think you are?" She asks, practically spitting venom at me.

"Who do you think you are?"

"I think I'm Jack's girlfriend, and I think I saw you checking him out the other day. I also think that if you don't want to be brutally murdered, you'll stay out of our relationship," she says.

"Good for you," I gasp sarcastically. "I think." And I walk down to the cafeteria.

I grab the first tray of food I come across and aggressively type in my lunch number. The lunch lady gives me a disapproving look, which I ignore.

I immediately find Sierra and Ray sitting together, and I make my way over to them. My poor tray of food is slammed down by my angry hands and the soup spills all over the table. Great. Just great. I groan and walk over to the utensils table and grab napkins. Then I wipe up the soup before sitting down and scooping the remainder of what is left into my mouth.

When I realize how silent it is at the table, I look up at Ray and Sierra. They're both staring at my with amused smirks. I glare at them.

"What's so funny?" I demand.

Sierra laughs. "Jordan, I think we can both tell when you're in a bad mood. Actually, I bet everyone in the cafeteria can see that."

I roll my eyes and finish my food.

"What happened?" Ray asks.

"Stupid sophomores," I mutter.

"Come again?"

"Audrey really thinks she can intimidate me? I've never spoken a word to her. What makes her think she can approach me like that? Gosh. She thinks I'm all after Jack," I grumble.

"Well, are you?" Ray asks, frowning slightly.

I give him a flat look.

"Hey, you never know," he defends.