Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

I take my usual seat, trying my hardest to pretend that nothing just happened. I pull out my books and pencil and begin my work that is written on the board.

The door opens, revealing Ray. He walks over to the seat next to me and falls into it. I hold my breath and don't move a muscle.

Ray goes about his business as usual. I don't want to actually look him in the eye because I don't want to seem phased by this. I mean, really. Pathetic! It was a stupid little hug.

Ray clears his throat, putting his pen down. I can see, out of the corner of my eye that his focus is on me.

"Martha. She was my best friend last year. We went out for about a month. It didn't go anywhere," Ray says quietly.

I flip my head to look at him for the first time. I'm shocked by his words. Why, I don't know. I guess, just the idea of Ray dating seems... Impossible to me. As bad as that sounds.

I just picture him being the lonely weirdo he is.

"Are you alright?" Ray asks. I guess I'm doing a bad job of not coming across as the stereotypical teenage girl.

"Yeah, I uh... Yeah I'm fine. Totally completely fine. Absolutely. Like... wow. Splendid. Superb. Stupendous. Wait, is that bad? It sounds sort of like stupid... I don't feel stupid though. I feel fantabulous. Don't worry about me," I blurt out like an idiot.

But Ray still just looks at me. He seems concerned. Which I don't want him to be.

"There's nothing between us," Ray says. I'm startled for a moment before he says,"Me and Martha. Nothing between me and Martha."

I look down at my desk and nod slightly. I get back to doing my study sheet, since I really don't want to be the stupid little girl who got her feelings hurt over one hug.

"Can you come over tonight?" Ray asks.

I debate whether or not to go, since he might just be doing this because he knows I am not in the best of moods. But I can't help myself from wanting to go.

"Yes," I say. "I can come."

***********************************

"So, I walk home on Mondays. If that's alright with you," Ray says, guiding me out to the school parking lot.

"That's fine." I really would rather get over the whole stupid day and get back to being normal with him.

"Shall we, then?" Ray asked, gesturing to the sidewalk leading away from the school.

"Lets."

While walking, we spot some random guy following us around in his car. I look back about a minute later and the man is still there in his truck just following us.

"I shalt protect you from this creep-o," Ray declares, placing a hand over his heart.

"I'm touched. Really. That was a deep moment."

"What can I say? I'm an inspirational person," Ray says, grinning at me.

The guy in the truck pulls up by us. He rolls down his window. He looks at us for a moment before frowning.

I start to get quite freaked out. I just stand there, all stiff, waiting for him to either attack or leave. Neither is happening at the moment.

"Ay, I thought you were my daughter and her boyfriend. I was trying to follow her and see who that guy thinks he is, walking with her without my permission. But no, I'm here stalking some poor random couple," the man says, chuckling.