Chapter Eighteen

"Hot cocoa for you."

"Hot cocoa for you." The sound of the mug hitting the table makes me lift my head up out of my arms for a moment. My eyes lazily close again, and I rest my head onto the table.

"Hey," Ray says. "You've got to at least try it.

"Mhm," I reply sleepily.

"You agreed to the deal, Jordan! No backing down now! Besides, it's only one thirty," Jacob says.

Right, the deal. We're supposedly staying up all night long, and the first one to fall asleep is forced into an ice cold shower. Yippee.

"Maybe we need caffeine," George says. "That'll help."

I grunt in response.

"Alright, go ahead and fall asleep. Just remember what's going to happen," Jacob taunts.

"Mhm," the words are going into my ear and out the other.

No, wake up before I slap you, Jordan! I can't get drenched in cold water tonight!

I manage to lift my head up and open my eyes one at a time. Ah, the light! Eyes closed again.

I feel around for my mug and grab it with both hands. Eyes still closed, I bring my face close to the liquid. The straw I've been drinking out of is twirling around and my mouth can't grab it. I stick my tongue out to try and catch it. How dare it try to get away. Now I'm determined.

Tongue out again, there it is, I feel it. Get back here straw. It's mocking me now. Hah, yeah 'catch me if you can' has now gotten serious.

Laughter surrounds me. "Jordan, do I even want to know what you're doing?"

My eyes snap open. Cue blinding lights. Cue eyes closed again. Cue let go of mug in state of shock. Cue hot liquid pouring all over me. Cue blinding lights again.

More laughter. I hate you all, every single one of you. I hope you all like the idea of freezing to death, because I'm locking you outside tonight.

If I can stay awake.

The cocoa dripping down me is beginning to burn, and I let out a squeal.

"Hot hot hot!"

I sprint up the stairs, the echoes of laughter below me. Jerkfaces. Balogne sandwiches.

I switch out my drenched shirt for the first shirt I find. It's just a purple tshirt that is much too big for me. Haven't seen this before... Oh well. Mine now.

And back down the stairs. The amused faces still remain on the peasants in front of me.

"Hey, think on the bright side," Jacob says. "I think that woke you up."

Ray steps closer to me in surprise for a moment, eyebrows raised. Gets very close to my ear. Whispers, "You look pretty great in my shirt."

My mouth hangs open and my face flushes. Of course. Where else would this shirt come from? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

"Ooh, secret whisper time?" Jacob asks with a squeal.

I roll my eyes and turn away from Ray in hopes that he can't see my blushing cheeks.

"Okay," George says slowly. "Now clean up your mess. Or I'm going to have to break your Mario Kart disk."

I sigh, looking towards the table. Hot chocolate is spilt on the tabletop and is dripping down onto the chair. There's a huge puddle on the ground. Swell.