Chapter Three

Chapter 3

Business in the bookstore continues as usual today. There are still people searching the crowded shelves in hopes of finding a perfect book. More books came on today, so I am in charge of putting them back where they go.

Lizzie is sitting in her chair again, and she is finishing up Socks. She has been telling me about how much she 'wants a little kitty kitty like him!'

Her grandma came in earlier to drop Lizzie off. She asked me to confirm that it was alright for her to read here.

I can't help but be curious of Lizzie and her grandma. Is her grandma taking care of her full time? And if so, why?

The bell jingles again. I don't even pay attention to it this time. I am actually quite bored. I left my book at home, and I don't want to start anther while in the midst of a series.

So, like any logical person, I spin in my chair again. I am whirling around, giving myself whiplash, and I don't even notice that someone has confronted me.

I stop my chair, my hands grabbing the counter for help. Then I sit up straight. I sway because the room is moving. I laugh a little.

"Sorry. Hello," I say. I still can't see straight.

"Hello... I feel like I've seen you before... Ah! You're the one who forced me into the boys bathroom to get your tutor-dude out!" The person says.

I focus my vision. Yes, sure enough, there stands that exact boy that I made go get Jack. His brown, curly hair and deep brown eyes prove that.

"Uhhm, how can I help you?" I ask.

"Oh, no 'I remember you, you were that pretty awesome and inhumanly attractive guy'?" He asks.

"Nope, I'm afraid not."

He just keeps looking at me with a wide grin on his face.

"Do you need something or not? Because I am afraid that I have other things that I could be doing," I say, breaking the silence.

"What, spin in chairs?" He asks, the grin still on his face. I have no real response to that. I feel my face getting red.

"Can you stop looking at me like that?"

"Like what?" He asks.

"Just... Never mind. Do you really need something or not?"

"Yes. Where can I find excellent books that I would like? I'll really read anything," He asks.

I notice, now, that he has a book in his hands. I reach over the counter and grab it from him. It reads 'The Fault in Our Stars.' I stare at him in disbelief. He seriously reads John Green? This kid suddenly got less irritating.

"John Green?" I ask.

"Yes. I loved this book... And, um... I... Yeah." He looks down like he's embarrassed.

"That book is depressingly amazing," I say.

"You've read it too?" He asks.

"Of course. I work in a book store, don't I?"

"Wow... Well... I suppose that somewhat makes sense. What's your name? Sorry I never asked before now," he says.

"Jordan. Jordan Green," I say. "And who might you be?"

"I'm Ray," he says. And suddenly his grin returned. Ray. Seems to fit him well.

"So how about that book?"

************************************

For dinner, I pour myself some Cheerios because I really don't want to cook anything. I take large bites until the cereal is gone, then drink away the milk. See, the thing about me is that I can't eat like a girl. Putting dainty sized bites of salad in my mouth at a time.