Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

Lizzie's birthday party is today, and she was so excited to learn that I'd be coming. She said, and I quote, "Ohhh! Really? That's so exciting! You can bring that boy if you want. He's nice. And handsome."

At first, like she explained to begin with, Lizzie didn't want a birthday party. I guess her grandparents talked her into it. Either way, I was actually happy to go to it. And I did decide to take Ray with me.

"Ready to party?" Ray asks me, walking beside me up the driveway with our present in his hands.

"Oh yeah. Party with the nine year old girls. I bet you're stoked, Ray," I wink at him.

"Why else would I be here?"

I ring the doorbell and Lizzie's grandma answers the door. She smiles at us and lets us inside.

"Lizzie has been so excited for you two to arrive," she says. Then she takes the gift from Ray and swiftly brings it to the gift table.

Ray and I make our way to the backyard, where all the little girls are already running around like psychos. Of course, I would expect no different. Lizzie catches my eye, in her poofy gold dress and tiara. She gasps and runs up to me.

"You came! You came!" She says. Then she sees Ray and she giggles. She pulls my arm so I have to bend down to her level. She whispers, "I think he's in love with you. Like a Prince Charming."

I can feel my cheeks going red even though she's a nine year old girl. I open my mouth to respond, but no words come out. Lizzie laughs again and covers her mouth.

"What," I whisper.

"He told me you were pretty once," she whispers with another laugh.

I can feel myself transforming into my tomato status.

Lizzie lets me stand up straight and I tuck my curled hair behind my ears. Lizzie is called by one of her little friends and she runs back over to them to continue her game.

"So, she comes to your bookstore a lot?" Ray asks.

"Yeah, every single day." I watch her run around and trip over her own feet, smiling.

"That's good for her. Reading a lot is a good habit to get into before you get to become our age and have a pile of books slammed onto your desk and are forced to read them in a week," Ray sighs.

"Just so you know, I love reading," I explain, hitting his arm with the back of my hand. I can feel his muscles tense under my touch and I really can't help myself but smirk.

"Hey, I never said I didn't like reading either. I said it was a good habit," Ray explains.

"Yes, but it was implied."

"No, it was not. You know nothing, Missy," Ray says.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah." I stare at him, amused.

"Prove it," I demand, crossing my arms like a five year old.

"If you insist..."

"Wait, what-"

But he comes at me and lifts me up. I start to kick and scream at him. He just runs me around the yard with all the other little girls and they stare at him as he passes.

"Stop it! Put me down!" I demand.

"Not until you admit that you know nothing!" Ray counters.

"Never!"

"Then you'll be up there a while..."

I sigh and close my eyes. But then I'm shoved onto something. I open my eyes to find that I am now sitting on top of the shed.