Chapter Four

Chapter 4

'Hey. It's Ray.'

'I can see that, you know...'

'You added me as a contact!'

'Yeah, wow, right?'

'Yeah WOW.'

'What do you need?'

I look around the classroom. We aren't exactly supposed to be texting in class and if I'm caught, my mom will kill me. But Mr. Smith isn't paying attention. He's at his desk putting in grades.

'Do I always have to need something? I'm bored. Mrs. Cole is super boring today.'

'Yeah, I'm supposed to be reading right now, but that's not happening. At least ten people are asleep right now.'

'Then you have plenty of time to text me!'

'Suuuuurrrreeee...'

Mr. Smith turns around and looks at all of us. He notices some of the people sleeping and he frowns.

"Hey. Hey! You're supposed to be reading," Mr. Smith says.

'Ask to go to the bathroom.' I read it over again. What on earth...?

'Why?'

'I'm lonely. You're not doing anything anyways.'

So, instead of following what my brain is telling me to do, and common sense is telling me to do, I get up and ask to use the bathroom. As I walk down the hallways, I'm starting to get a little nervous. I've never gotten in trouble before, and I'm not going to start that today.

I see Ray approaching with that crooked smile on his face. I can't even help myself from smiling back.

"Hi Jordan," he says.

"Hi," I say. "What now?"

"Absolutely nothing."

"What?" This dude really confuses me.

"We are going to stand here awkwardly."

I would laugh, but he looks completely serious.

Then he stares at me. With a totally straight face. This is really weird, especially since he doesn't go a minute without smiling. His eyes are so wide, and I look into them, pretty confused. If we're having an abnormal contest, I (surprisingly) wouldn't win this time.

I don't know how long it's been. He is still looking at me with that face, though. Its starting to make me think he has some issues. I raise my eyebrows at him.

"Makes you uncomfortable, huh?" He asks, opening his eyes wider.

"Sure does," I say. "You can stop that now."

"Fine." He smiles again.

A teacher walks by us. I hold my breath as they leave.

"I swear, if we get in trouble, I will cut out your rib and beat you with it."

This just makes Ray smile wider.

"What?" I ask.

"Oh, just thinking its funny when you get mad," he says. Then he laughs. I feel my face get red. I look away a little in hopes that he won't notice.

"Avoiding eye contact now, eh?" He asks.

That makes me snap a glare at him. But just as I do, it cracks into a smile. I laugh with him for a minute. Or more than a minute. My laughs drastically get louder, and then I cant even control them. Then someone approaches us.