Chapter Twenty-two

Sierra came to my house two hours before the dance so that we can get ready together. She brought this huge makeup kit, and a curling and straightening iron.

Now, We both stand admiring each other in the mirror.

Sierra looks like a life size Barbie with her curly hair and makeup. She is gorgeous as ever. I stare at myself as though I can't recognize me. And I can't. My hair is straightened and French braided around my head in a waterfall do. The makeup around my eyes makes the green color pop.

"We're smoking hot," Sierra lets out a low whistle.

After a few touch ups, Sierra says, "Alrighty, I'm going to leave now, before Ray gets here so you can have your moment or whatever."

I roll my eyes. "Thanks, Sierra."

She gathers her stuff and bundles it all into her arms before shuffling out the door. I hear a few bangs and Sierra's angry words as she must be going down the stairs.

I stare into my reflection for another minute before leaving the room as well.

And there is a knock at the door.

I rush to the stairs to answer it, but my mom already is there with her hand on the knob. Really, mom? Haven't you ever heard that the date should be the one to greet?

"Hello, Miss Green," Ray's voice says.

I try to hurry down the stairs, but I am seriously uncoordinated with these high heels. So, I carefully take one step at a time.

"Hello, Ray! You look nice and handsome tonight," she moves to let him in.

He stops when he see me and grins. I take another step, my ankle wobbling. Is there an ankle strengthening class I should attend or something?

"You look beautiful," Ray says.

I smile, pausing on the step so I won't collapse. "Why thank you, good sir."

"Where are your manners, Jordan?" My mom asks, placing a hand on her hip.

"Manners? I called him a 'good sir' for crying out loud, mom!" I roll my eyes.

"This is where you comment on his charm and good looks as well," my mom explains.

Ray laughs. "Oh, I am used to this treatment by now. Jordan doesn't ever compliment my stunning good looks or heart stopping charm, she is actually quite cold hearted."

"Oh, the sense of humor this boy has... A keeper here!" My mom laughs.

"No, no, mom. I'm used to this. It's not a sense of humor, that's nonexistent in his vocabulary. No, it's arrogance. And he's a real jerk. Also, on second thought, I don't really want to go to this dance anymore. Have a good day, Ray."

"Jordan!" My mom squeals.

"I was kidding mom," I monotone.

Ray laughs. "And I'm used to her very terrifyingly realistic sarcasm. Shall we?" He gestures towards the door.

"Lets," I smile.

He holds out his hand and I take it before heading away to his silver Honda Civic.

Brace yourself, Jordan. This is what a school dance is.

******************************

"Whoa."

As Ray and I step into the gym where the dance is being held, I gawk at my surroundings. I suppose now is a good time to have potatoes thrown at me and be called a loser-nerd-face because this is the very first dance I've ever been to.