Chapter Twenty-Six

'I am so excited for Christmas! I got you the best present ever! You're going to love it.' -Sierra

I brush out my hair and pull half of it back before replying.

'The best time of the year. I've got you something great too.'

I hang up my towel and throw on some jeans and a purple knit sweater, along with the red scarf my mom made me a few years ago. What can I say? It's comfy.

'Just think: this is our last Christmas in school!' -Sierra

And, Rudolph socks and boots. Warm my freezing toesies.

'Not exactly. I'm pretty sure college isn't a huge sleepover party, it's school too.'

'Nah, who wants to go to college anyways? We're almost done! And then I can live my dream of traveling the world.' -Sierra

I sigh and shake my head. 'Actually, a lot of people probably want to go to college. You know, to get a decent job.'

'Oh, I suppose. But not if you've got dreams like mine. They don't involve sitting in classrooms for four more years. I'm out of here!' -Sierra

'And I'm excited for you, go live those dreams!'

'You too, miss I'm-so-intelligent-and-crazy-and-have-an-equally-intelligent-and-crazy-future-husband.' -Sierra

My eyes widen in disbelief. I start writing a reply, but hers comes first.

'Got to go, bye! Talk to you later, chica.' -Sierra

Real mature. Real mature.

*******************************

"Please, please, pleaaaase can I come with you?"

Lizzie's death grasp on my shirt kind of makes moving away impossible. And that puppy dog face kind of makes it impossible to say no to her.

"Fine, fine, but on one condition," I tell her.

She squeals and hugs me. "Yay! Oh, I'm so excited!"

"Ah, condition," I hold up a hand and she stills. "You have to eat whatever vegetables I put on your plate."

She crinkles her nose. "I hate veggies."

I raise my eyebrows. "They make you taller and healthier." To be honest, I really, really hate veggies too. But since I was forced to eat them when I was younger, so should she. So the cycle goes on.

She looks unconvinced. "So?"

"So, do you want to be short and fat for your whole life?"

Her eyes widen. "No!"

I smirk at her. "Then eat them."

The bell on the book shop's door dings, letting me know that somebody has entered. Ray walks in, coming up to the counter.

"You ready to go?" He asks.

"Ummm..." Right, I sort of forgot that important detail about going to that Italian diner downtown together, you know, the two of us.

He narrows his eyes. "What'd you do?"

I laugh a little and peer at Lizzie from the corner of my eye. "Lizzie may or may not be going to dinner with us... If that's okay with you, of course."

"Pleeease," Lizzie says, clinging to Ray's leg.

"Sure," Ray smiles at her. "We ready?"

"Oh yeah," Lizzie says.