Chapter Twenty-Five

Christmas is growing eerily closer, and I still haven't done a single shred of my shopping. So, I decide, what better day than today?

I grab my purse and throw on a sweatshirt before heading out the door and into the chilly winter air. The mall is only about a ten minute walk from my house, which is a good thing. It's got pretty much any store I need.

I suppose I'm not the only one choosing last minute to shop for my Christmas items, since the mall is crowded with people. I let out a sigh and hurry through the crowd and into the first store I come across that isn't too packed.

Who's first on my list? Ah, mom. What on earth am I supposed to get my mother? I could always go the easy route and grab her a nice looking scarf. Or I could get her a good ole cook book.

After a few minutes of debate, I decide to get her a necklace that reminds me of her. That works.

Next is my dad on my list, and I just grab him another pair of socks. I really hate shopping for him because I never know what to get him.

Then there's Jacob. As soon as I see the unicorn vampire onesie, I know that's what he'll be opening on Christmas morning.

Then there's Sierra, and that's an easy one. I grab the turquoise flats that she wanted last time we were here.

Lastly, is Ray. Everyone else was fairly easy to shop for, but him? I can think of a thousand possible things to get him, but none seem to measure up. I need something that's more meaningful than a gift card or candy bar for him.

"Jor?"

Only one person calls me that. I turn around slowly, and sure enough, there stands Ray. The one I just so happen to be shopping secretly for. I suppose that'll have to wait.

"Hey, Ray." I smile.

"What're you up to?" He asks, leaning against a decorative table casually.

I shrug and lift up the shopping bags. "Christmas."

"Oh, right. That." He grins.

I tilt my head. "And what are you here for?"

He smiles. "Nothing in particular. I was just at the bookstore, where you were actually not working and decided to come here. Lucky I did, I suppose."

He went to the bookstore looking for me? The thought sends the butterflies hibernating in my stomach jumping off a cliff and into a pit of marshmallow fudge.

"Yes, I suppose so," I reply with a small smile.

"Where are you off to next?" Ray asks.

"Nowhere particularly. Just wandering and choosing something that looks suitable for a gift," I shrug.

"Would you mind if I accompany you 'nowhere particularly'?" Ray asks.

I sigh. "I actually do mind, but I suppose it'd be rude to say no. So, fine."

Ray smiles. "Oh, the kind words you give me."

With that, he takes my hand in his and pulls me off towards a new destination that is clearly unknown.

"What are you doing for Christmas?" Ray asks me, turning to look me in the eye.

"My family celebrates together. The whole extended family is actually spread all over the country, so we don't see much of anyone. It's just us," I sigh. "Any holiday traditions in your house?"

"We do things different every single year, actually. Last year, we hauled the family to Washington, for a family reunion. Two years ago, we didn't do gifts. We wrote each other letters about their qualities," Ray explains. "Mom always has ideas. I actually think this year, we are celebrating around the fire pit at midnight."