Chapter Twenty-Three

"Morning, Liz!" I call to her as she walks into the bookstore.

I can't keep this huge, goofy grin off my face. It's been here since I woke up. Jacob looked at me like I was a psychopath, but let me go to work after he was finished questioning me. Sheryl keeps eyeing me and asking if I'm alright. My answer is, yes I'm terrific.

"Hey, Jordan!" Lizzie says before walking over to the shelves of books.

I bring my hair back behind my ears with my fingers and straighten out my shirt, sitting up straighter.

'Hello there.' -Ray

My heart skips a beat as I read the name. My fingers shake as I type.

'Hey.'

'How are you?' -Ray

Oh, being all casual now, are we? Two can play at that game.

'I'm great, and you?'

'Excellent, thanks for your concern.' -Ray

'Who said I was concerned?'

'Who said I asked for your opinion?' -Ray

'Touché, Ray.'

'That rhymes!' -Ray

I laugh out loud this time. 'I know!'

Somebody clears their throat in front of me. I quickly set my phone down and look up. A woman stands before me, holding a stack of children's books. I take them from her and check her out silently.

'I am so bored its not even funny.' -Ray

'Oh yeah?'

'Yeah. This is furreal.' -Ray

'If I weren't at work, I'd visit you.'

'Maybe I should just come to you.' -Ray

My heart basically stops as I reread the message. Then I frown when I realize something.

'Oh, I've actually got to close up the store in like five minutes.'

'Fine, I suppose I will just have to wait until later, then.' -Ray

"Hey Jordan?" Liz stands at the desk, only her eyes showing above the countertop.

"Yes, Liz?" I ask, placing my phone in my pocket.

"Gramma was wondering if you could babysit me today while she goes to the store."

I smile. "Of course. I'd love to."

**********************************

"Thank you so much, Jordan," Liz's grandma says, grabbing her purse. "I'll be back in about an hour."

She hurries out the door and into the cold.

Lizzie sits across from me at the table, holding a board game. I take the box and look it over.

"Candyland?" I ask.

"It's my favorite," Lizzie explains.

It was actually my favorite too, when I was younger. I haven't played it in years. In fact, I haven't played board games, period, in years. I suddenly feel really lame and decide I've wasted away enough of my life without board games.

"Sure, lets play."

The board is laid out in front of us, and I am given the yellow piece while Lizzie is the blue. We begin the game, both confident in our skills.

"I must warn you, Liz, I have proven to be pretty awesome at this game," I smirk at her. She doesn't seem to be the least bit phased.

"I'll have you know, Missy, that just because I am a young sapling of only nine years old does not mean I automatically am not as skilled at a game as you," Liz snaps. "That is a rude stereotype."