Chapter Twenty

"Kids! I'm home!"

I groggily put my pillow over my head and turn over to face the other wall.

"Jordan! Jacob! Oh, hello, George!" My moms voice echoes through the house. "Ray, so nice to see you again."

I groan and attempt to block out the sound. Curse you, mother. It should be illegal to wake up this early. I doubt the rooster's even awake.

"Jordan, get up! It's almost noon!" Mom calls.

Ah, be quiet and leave me alone. Please and thank you.

And I fly into the air, screaming. I look around frantically to find that Ray has jumped onto my bed and is now laying on his back, staring at me as I have a heart attack.

"What was that for?" I demand.

"Your mom is here and wants to say hi," he says with a smile.

"The blizzard?"

"Blew over," Ray shrugs.

"Jordan, get down here or I'll kick your butt!" My mom yells. "I haven't seen you turds for two days!"

I groan and slide out of bed, stretching my arms over my head. I put on my fuzzy slippers and head down the stairs, Ray beside me.

"Hi mom," I say, walking into the kitchen with a yawn.

"You've got to stop sleeping so long," my mom says without turning away from the window. "It's unhealthy. Haven't I told you the saying-"

"Mom, I've heard the saying," I sigh.

"Right, right."

"How was staying at work for two days?" I ask.

"Terrible. I hope they pay me overtime for that," mom sighs.

"Yeah, right."

"Quite an adventure."

"If you don't mind, I'm going to head back upstairs because I'm actually still really-"

"No, you're going to say goodbye to your friend because his dad called earlier, pretty nervous," mom stops me.

Ray smiles at me. I give him a blank look.

"Adios," and I turn to walk back up the stairs.

"Jordan Olivia Green!" My mom wails. "You get down here this instant and apologize for your lack of manners."

Ooh, there's the full name. Things just got serious.

"Sorry for my lack of manners, Ray," I mumble. "Bye."

I peer through the kitchen window and see that it snowing lightly. But the roads are packed with snow, obviously not plowed yet.

"Mom, Ray's car can't get through that!" I cry, before Ray can leave.

"Aw, thanks for caring," Ray says, "but I think I'll be okay."

"No! You have a freaking Honda Civic for heavens sake! That's almost a foot of snow!"

"Don't hurt its feelings," Ray frowns. "It likes to try hard things."

"Jordan, stop being over dramatic," my mom rolls her eyes. "Ray, will you be alright?"

Ray nods. "Yes, thanks Miss Green."

I wave and he smiles before walking out the door. Ugh, this means I have to go to school tomorrow. What day is it, Wenesday? And.... Holy guac and chips, Friday's the dance.

"Be back in a minute, mom. Gotta call Sierra," I hurry up to my room and dig through my bedding trying to find my phone. This is what I get, staying on it all night long.