Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Something's up with you, Jordan. You're acting strange," my mom leans over the counter, leaving her blender and fruits behind her.

"How so?" I ask her, smiling, since I really can't wipe it off my face.

She grabs my face between her hands and stares straight into my eyes. "Yep," she says. "It's a guy."

"What?" I ask automatically.

"It's Ray, isn't it?" My mom asks, humming as she gets back to her smoothie making.

Is it that obvious that something's going on between the two of us. Gosh, I wish I could hide my emotions better!

"I have not a clue what you're implying here."

My mom pauses and turns, giving me a blank stare. "Honey, do you really think I can't tell what's wrong with my own daughter? It's as plain as day."

I sigh. "That doesn't mean that you're right." What a sad excuse. You've just gotten worse and worse at this, Jordan. You may as well dig your grave now.

"Actually, I've seen it too," Jacob interferes. Wait, when did he get here?

"Huh?" I ask at the same time my mom say, "Aha!"

"Yeah, whenever I say you-know-who's name, she gets all googly eyed and stuff," Jacob says, plopping into the seat next to me.

"Nuh uh," I deny, turning to him with a scowl.

"Yeah. You may as well plaster a sign on your forehead that says 'I, JORDAN OLIVIA GREEN, AM COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY AND ABSOLUTELY CRAZY IN LOVE AND PLEASE DON'T TRY TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH ME BECAUSE I CAN'T CONCENTRATE FOR MORE THAN TEN SECONDS WITHOUT FALLING INTO A DAYDREAM. THANK YOU.'

I stare at him. And blink. Silence.

"Isn't that a little long to fit on my forehead?"

********************************

Knock knock

"Jor, you in there?"

My head raises slowly off my pillow, but it doesn't really get that far before I let it drop again and cover it with my blanket.

What time is it? Have a little respect people.

And, some dimwit is shaking my shoulder. "Get up, it's almost noon."

I swat the hand away and do a tired mental fist pump when I actually hit the person in the face.

"Okay, I guess I'll eat these chocolate chip pancakes myself."

And I sit up so quickly that I can't see clearly for a few seconds. "No, you've gotta share."

And while I was expecting to see Jacob sitting on the edge of my bed, it's actually Ray who is holding a tray of pancakes.

The mirror across the room from me shows just how zombie-like I actually look at this moment, and I basically die inside. Please, mom, give me a nice funeral.

"Oh, gosh," I throw a blanket over my head. "Wasn't expecting to see you here." My voice is muffled by the blanket.

Ray laughs. "I'm one for surprises."

Yeah, well, I've already told you on multiple occasions that I, thank you very much, am not.

"Okay," Ray says. "Do you want these pancakes or not?"

I nod my head.

"There's kind of a barrier in the way," Ray says. "You can take off the blanket now, it's not that bright in here."