Chapter Six

Chapter 6

Once again, my computer is malfunctioning. I am simply trying to type up my social studies essay, but of course Word isn't working. Just great. Especially considering the fact that the essay is due tomorrow.

I sigh and press away from my desk in my spinny chair. I lean my head back and look at the ceiling fan.

If this stupid essay isn't finished, I get a zero. If I get a zero, I get an F. If I get an F, my mom will literally kill me. Therefore, if my computer continues to not work, I will not see another day. Oh, the tragedy.

My phone lights up with Rays name on it.

'Hey, what's up?'

'I have a terrible computer.'

'... Explanation?'

'I have this essay due tomorrow. My computer is being its lame self and decided to be lazy and not do what I tell it to.'

'I see. Well, I do happen to have a computer. You may as well come over and use it.'

'Oh gosh thank you so much.'

'Anytime.'

I get up and run out of my room with my phone. I stop in the kitchen, where my mom sits. She looks up from her laptop.

"Hey, I'm going over to Ray's house to finish this essay," I tell her.

"Okay, don't stay too late."

I hurry out the door after putting on my jacket. I get to about the edge of my driveway when I realize something.

I text Ray. 'Uh slight problem: I have no idea where you live.'

'Just a street down from yours. The darker house with a red truck in front.'

At first I am slightly freaked out at the fact that he knows where I live. But then I remember that he walked me home a week ago.

I begin my journey down the road. The wind is blowing hard today and it looks like at some point it's going to rain. I walk faster to get out of the cold.

When I turn into the street next to mine, I immediately see the red truck. I speed up even more. As I get closer, I see something else in front of the house. It isn't so much of a something as to a person.

Ray is standing there, waving at me like a maniac. I smile, but don't release my hand from my warm bundle of crossed arms to wave back.

"Welcome to my home," Ray says.

We walk inside the house and straight up the stairs. I admire all the decorations and pictures on the walls. His mom sits on a couch and wave at us. I smile at her.

"Hello, nice to see you again, Jordan! Glad you could come today. Ray has been very excited to have you over," she says, shaking my hand. I smile at her.

"Haha, thanks mom," Ray shoots her a scowl. He grabs my wrist, and we continue down the hallway before she can continue.

Ray opens the first door on the right and we walk inside. It looks like any other teenage boys room I would expect, except for the fact that it is spotless. Everything is clean and neat and organized. Compared to my mess of a room, this is amazing.

"Whoa," is all I can manage to say, though.

"Smell bad in here?" Ray asks, sniffing his bed.

I laugh. "You are so clean. OCD?"

"Nah, I just want to keep it clean. Especially when people come over," Ray says.

"And how often do people come over?" I ask.