[11] Lost One, Found The Other

I gasped and got out of Nick's hold, knowing well that the person who had shot the leopard is one of us

I gasped and got out of Nick's hold, knowing well that the person who had shot the leopard is one of us. I mean, who else would it be?

Nick hurried next to me and his mouth fell. "Oh my God!" he exclaimed, staring at Aiden who had a bow in his hand.

Aiden marched toward the leopard and yanked the arrow back before hugging Nick carefully

Aiden marched toward the leopard and yanked the arrow back before hugging Nick carefully. They both held each other as if they were separated for years even though it has only been a day.

I stood there like an awkward pea pie, my eyes exploring every damn inch of our surroundings while my fingers fiddled with the bow of my thin tank top.

They finally pulled away and Aiden glanced at me, giving me a soft smile but I averted his gaze.

Whatever I was thinking about before, had really affected my mood and my thoughts about the eminents and the village.

I mean, can you really believe how nasty it is for them to give us an indemnity? Like, is this gonna bring back Zane? No.

"Felicity, are you okay?" He asked but I couldn't answer. My mind was too busy flashing me a forgotten memory. I couldn't form any words.

"Don't do this Torryn, please," I screamed, getting pulled away by two strong high ranks. I squirmed in their arms, "At least bury them." I sobbed, giving up and letting them drag me to the ship.

"She has been acting a little weird," Nick's voice sounded muffled but I made out the words with a little mind effort.

"Felicity, we need to meet up with the others. It's getting dark," Nick said, finally snapping me out of my thoughts. His eyes held concern and pain. Pain because of Sarah. I'm really starting to miss her.

"Where exactly are we going to meet?" Aiden raised an eyebrow. "We had agreed to call anyone's name by the stream before we start moving in a group again," Nick replied and Aiden nodded in understanding.

Nick put his hands on both sides of his mouth before screaming out Jett's name.

We waited for a while before we heard rustling and footsteps patting on the ground decorated with sticks and fallen crunchy leaves.

The air was starting to get colder and I began rubbing my hands up and down my arms to warm up a bit.

Soon, everyone stepped out of the sea of trees and vines. Some of them gasped when they saw Aiden and ran to hug him.

Nick and I shared a look of worry when we noticed Vela's eyes searching for her sister. "Sarah," she whispered, "where?" she finally asked, making the others furrow their eyebrows and look around.

They stared at us for an explanation and Nick started crying again. Aiden looked as clueless as everyone else. I thought Nick told him?

"She... We couldn't... I mean we," he stumbled over his words, unable to form an understandable sentence. "We couldn't protect her," I blurted and everyone's eyes went wide. Some even started sobbing.

"Uncle Kenric." Vela poked his knee a couple of times so he looked down at her, his mouth agape, still not believing what he had heard. "What does she mean?" she glanced up at him.

He picked her up and hugged her small body, stroking her hair. "You're safe with me Vela," he whispered, closing his eyes firmly.

She wrapped her tiny arms around his neck, "She is okay," she spoke quietly before crying. She understood. And she accepted it. But she couldn't stop crying and I don't blame her.

"What happened?" Adriel asked Nick and he began explaining to everyone while I zoned out. I was left with my thoughts.

I remember Zane's death like it was yesterday even though it has been four years since I last saw him. It was the most cruel and the most violent death ever.

I remember my family's cries and screams. Most specifically, his. The way he was tied to the long wooden column, the way their knives slit his flesh, the blood trickling down his torso. Everything. I remember everything.

I felt tears sliding down my cheeks but I quickly wiped them away. I wasn't letting my guard down for something that has happened in the past.

Who the fuck am I kidding? That was my twin. My other half. My everything.

I was always determined to stay alive during the battles just because of him. Because I didn't want to put him through pain.

"Where were you Aiden?" Lauren's muffled voice asked. "When I was changing behind the tree, I stepped on something covered by tons of leaves. It was the bow. And I really wanted the weapon so without even thinking, I went to look for some arrows," he explained.

"You could've at least told us," Jett argued and I heard Aiden mutter a sorry. All of their voices sounded wobbly and hoarse. Proof they were still crying.

Zane's screams suddenly echoed in my head and I didn't notice I choked on a sob until they turned to look at me. I covered my mouth with my free hand, tears streaming down my face uncontrollably.

Nick rushed toward me, embracing my shaking body in a warm hug. They probably thought I was crying because of Sarah which wasn't true. We weren't that close for me to sob over her. And I know that sounds a little bit harsh but it's the truth.

He pulled away and gave me a sympathetic look, his own eyes bloodshot and puffy.

"Come on guys, we need to go before it completely darkens," Lauren said and we began following after her. Guess they found a place where we could stay the first night.

I handed Brian Sarah's spear and he pursed his lips, taking it out of my hand gratefully. Everyone was crying and sniffing except for Aiden, Jett, Lauren and Brian.

I caught up with Lauren's pace, "Why aren't you affected by her death like the others?" I blurted, not really caring how it sounded.

"I didn't know her. Neither did Brian or Jett," she answered and I nodded slowly before slowing my pace so I was walking next to Jett.

He smiled sadly at me, locking my arm in his when he saw my wobbly steps.

I can tell this 'Hunt' was going to be extremely bad and it hasn't even started yet.