[14] Saving The Chief

"Feeling good?" Nick asked, throwing his arm over my shoulders

"Feeling good?" Nick asked, throwing his arm over my shoulders. I nodded and looked up at him only to notice he was looking down at me. Our faces almost touching.

"If I told you, you like me, would you push away?" Nick laughed, probably remembering last time which didn't end well because Sarah bled to death in front of his own eyes. That was harsh of me.

"If I told you, I like you, would you say it back?" I teased and he quickly pulled away, stuttering like crazy. I burst out laughing while he furrowed his eyebrows and stared at me.

"It was a joke," I said, barely containing my laughter. Nick chuckled awkwardly and was interrupted by Vela who ran up to me.

"Chief said no talk," she looked around then back at me, "but I want to be friends." She smiled up at me as she hugged my leg and my heart fluttered. How cute!

"Yeah. We could be friends." I picked her up and she placed her tiny hands on both of my cheeks, blowing me a kiss.

"Oh," I whispered, "I love you too." I grinned when her sweet laughter filled my ears. She buried her head in the crook of my neck and Nick smiled at me.

"You're gonna be a good mom," he laughed and I rolled my eyes, shaking my head in amusement.

"Yo Nick," Brian called and gestured for him to come over. Nick excused himself and left.

I put Vela down and told her to go to Kenric in case Aiden appeared out of nowhere. I know he wouldn't hurt her, of course, but I just don't want him to give me one of his sharp looks because it makes me hella scared.

He's not different than Torryn. They both suck and they're both scary. Except Aiden has a little sympathy. I think.

I watched everyone else drink water from the river and since I had already drunk and washed my face, I didn't have anything else to do so I leaned back on a tree with my arms crossed.

"That tattoo is a flame defeating a fire," Hector explained. "We're the flame. They're the fire."

Oh my God! We're the flame and they're the fire! I remember that part.

The flame represents the low ranks, the fire represents the eminents. And the tattoo shows a flame defeating a fire.

I fucking understand now!

"I'm the flame!" The words tumbled out of my mouth before I even got the chance to stop them.

Adriel was about to speak but Aiden put his hand up, pretty much gesturing for all of them to not talk. My eyes immediately widened.

"You're the flame?" he asked, his eyebrows drawn together. I gulped and avoided his gaze, not knowing how to explain what I had just said and done.

"Felicity, what are you doing here?" He frowned and I scowled.

"What?"

"What are you doing here?" He repeated, looking incredibly perplexed.

I remembered what Hector told me. "I chose to."

Everyone behind Aiden gasped while he just seemed speechless. "You chose to?"

"I don't know much but Hector told me I did." I shrugged.

"We're the flame. They're the fire," he whispered and my mouth fell agape.

"You know?"

"I heard him say it to Brandon and Amelia quite a lot," he replied. The others completely lost and shocked. "So does that mean-"

He was cut off by a loud roar. Our heads snapped toward that direction and to our surprise, a black Panther stood there.

"Oryn," Vela squealed and was quickly pulled back by Kenric. "Vela you don't know," Lauren whispered, backing away slowly.

"No, I know. He has a scar on his tummy." She pointed at him as he walked gracefully in front of me. Oryn did get bitten by that tiger but what if it's a coincidence?

My heart was beating violently in my chest and my eyes began to water. It wasn't until he positioned himself between Me and the others that I knew it was Oryn.

You know this move when cats stretch and their fluffy booties shake left and right? Well he did that, except he wasn't stretching, he was getting into an attack position.

He growled at the others and my eyes widened as the realization hit me.

He was protecting me! Or, he was making sure that he gets to eat me without anyone interfering. Okay, we're going South with that now, I should stop.

The amount of fear pasted on everyone's face made me feel the tiniest bit of guilt but they all deserve it especially our Chief.

Aiden raised his bow and I immediately grasped my sword from the ground. He will die if he thinks about killing Oryn.

"I dare you to do it, Aiden," I challenged, glaring at him as I walked up next to Oryn.

He readjusted his grip on the string of the bow and I lifted my sword up while Oryn continued to growl at him.

"He will attack if you do too so put your goddamn arrow down along with the bow," I yelled, taking small, steady steps toward him.

"How do I know he won't attack us?" He risked a glance at me and promptly, Oryn had jumped on him, knocking his weapon down.

"No," I screamed, mostly for the others who were getting ready to protect their Chief. "Back down."

Oryn wasn't hurting him. He was just on top of him to keep him from attacking me. And for once, I saw Aiden gulp visibly with panic sheer on his face.

I didn't know how to do this. How was I going to pull Oryn off of him? Do I, like, put my hand on his fur and push him? Um, hell no, he might hurt me and I'm not that eager to rescue Aiden.

Okay, Felicity, deep breaths and  just do it.

With shaky hands, I placed them on his soft fur and sat down next to Aiden on my knees. Oryn raised his head to look at me instead of Aiden and I nodded, hoping he would understand what I mean because I am NOT pushing him. That's dangerous and I'm already playing with fire.

After one last threatening growl, he leapt away from us and disappeared in between the trees. Aiden didn't move, instead, he lied still, his eyes closed and his breathing incredibly unsteady. Damn, now I feel bad. Not.

No one made a move to shake him or anything because everyone looked around warily and then sat down on the ground, some trembling and some sighed in relief while trying to calm themselves.

My eyes fell back on Aiden to see him already staring at me.

"Thank you," he whispered and my eyes went round as I searched his face for any sign of hatred, anger, but nothing. He was grateful.

Nick came up and sat Indian-style next to him and I decided to let them have their own conversation.

Vela ran toward me and I picked her up while everyone gave me thankful smiles. Okay, guess we're getting back on track.

A/N This is the newest chapter and I really hope you're still reading lol. Anyways, I hope you liked it.
Don't forget to vote and share😉
Stay peaceful❤✌