[Epilogue] To The Better

6 years later

6 years later...

"My period cramps are killing me," Vela whined, her eyes drooping as she dramatically cupped her forehead.

"Go rest then," I said, falling to her side on the couch.

"I can't." She sighed. "I promised Tommy I'd take him down to the beach today. God, I wish I never did that."

I laughed at her, my hand rubbing soothing circles on her back. "Well, he is your nephew after all."

"I know." She groaned.

The front door to my house opened, allowing in Sarah and her four year old son in hand, Aiden and Amelia following suit.

"Good evening to my bestest friend," Amelia said, her expression warm.

"Hello to you too, best friend." I grinned, giggling.

When Aiden's eyes caught mine, his lips stretched into a heart-stopping smile that matched my own.

Things weren't at all like they used to be.

Everything, including everyone, changed.

Though the changes were unexpected, at least to me, everything seemed to work out just fine.

Hector had injected the rest of the kids from our village with Pantovax, in hopes of our deaths in the arena, before any of them regained memory of what happened when they were sent back safely to Levilnor. And let me say, when they did remember, they were mostly confused to see us moving on from such a thing we've been through.

Sarah became a mother, her son being a walking goof-ball who has lightened up her world and her husband's.

Vela grew up to be a beautiful twelve year old girl whom I care deeply for, almost giving off the vibe that we were sisters, considering she spent most of her time wandering around in my living room like she owned the place.

When my ears slowly unraveled what Sarah and her dear sister were arguing about, I rolled my eyes at the two of them.

Even their relationship changed.

After the death of my best friend, Brandon, the eminents and I got into a huge fight the moment I figured why Brandon had asked Amy to leave the circle in the hovercraft.

He didn't want her to hear what he had to say because he knew we'd both stop him, no matter what.

He had told them his plan, which consisted of him directing the aircraft towards the building so everything would be over, and they so easily agreed. But then when I looked at it from their point of view, I really did understand. It was the only hope, and the only thing we could've done to ensure nothing like The Hunt would ever happen again.

He had planned his death in order to save us from what could've possibly continued, and we were thankful for that.

Amelia and I drifted apart for the first two years after she had fallen into a depressed state and had to take medications to be set free from her grieving mind.